Do you put a diaper under a toddler's swimsuit?

Am I supposed to put a diaper underneath my daughter's swimsuit? Are there special diapers for swimming? She is 1 years old.

danielp

Asked by danielp at 5:32 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they make 'swimmers' that won't swell up and they wear them under the swimsuit. I think they are by huggies or pampers
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:33 PM on May. 7, 2010

• swim diapers which don't inflate the way a diaper does. They also have washable ones you can get.
    Anonymous

• yes!! they're called little swimmers
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:33 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Yup use little swimmers... You can put the suit on top of that. If you use a reg. diaper it'll swell really big. I don't know how comfy it is. It doesn't look pretty. I've done that once before at the lake, when getting little swimmers wasn't an option.

One thing is for sure... don't go diaperless : D....

Have fun! I bet her swim suite is cute! : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• You can get "little swimmers" but honestly, I just took them in in a suit... NO diaper. There was never an issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:39 PM on May. 7, 2010

• yeah you have to use the little swimmers they are a bit pricey though, but diapers will bust in the water, and that is a huge mess.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• You can use a cloth diaper, a cloth swim diaper, or a disposable swim diaper (depending on the facility - some pools don't allow disposables). It IS a good idea to use SOMETHING under their suits until they are fully potty trained. swim diapers don't keep pee in (that's why they don't balloon up when wet - they don't absorb), but they DO keep the poop in - and that is important, because fecal matter floating in a pool or lake or river can be dangerous to the health of the plants, animals, and other people around. If you are using the disposable swimmers - keep the non-absorbent thing in mind and don't put them on until you are at the pool, or you could be in for a wet surprise!! :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:16 PM on May. 7, 2010

• we use little swimmers :)
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:05 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I really prefer baby/toddler swimsuits that have the diaper built into them rather than the Little Swimmers. They are a bit harder to find, but I like them a whole lot better!

Answer by missanc at 8:03 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't just take them in a suit, no swimmer, and just hope to be lucky enough that you don't have an "issue." An issue, at a public pool, means that they have to clear out the ENTIRE pool for a certain number of hours for fecal contamination I would not risk being the parent who didn't want to be bothered to find a swim diaper and ruined everyone's fun.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:26 PM on May. 7, 2010