Can I start nursing my two year old again?

He weaned while I was pregnant and now that his brother is here I was wondering if I could nurse him again if he shows the interest? There have been so many time during the last few months that I have sincerely wished he wouldn't have weaned. He is very 'high maintenence' - needs a lot of attention and one-on-one time - and nursing always calmed him down so nicely!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• . . . . . . older children who nurse ARE eating solid food as well, AND drinking from cups - - they don't nurse as often or as long as babies do, but again, that doesn't make it any less beneficial to them or mom. WHO recommends nursing to age 2 as a minimum, then goes on to say that the nursing relationship should continue for as long as it is desired by both child and mom. toddlers and preschoolers who nurse are independent and know how to play by themselves and with other friends just fine. The only negative thing about nursing an older child is the perception that OUR society has of it - and that can and should be ignored by all nursing moms ;) . . . . . . .
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:06 PM on May. 7, 2010

• If you can produce enough for both of them, sure but realize that he may not like it since it is now formulated for the new baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:35 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I've heard of people tandem nursing although I've never tried it. But perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that he self-weaned. You might have a terrible time weaning him later if he's as high maintenance as you say.
    Anonymous

• If your using it as a pacifying method...I wouldn't do it.......how long are you going to pacify him with nursing?
    Anonymous

• gosh you are nuts. he is already weaned why put him back on when you have ababy to nurse. Believe me I am all for nursing but he is weaned!
    Anonymous

• Why would you want to keep nursing a 2 year old?

Especially after he's been weaned off?

bad

Anonymous

• Is it more of a comfort for you or him? I think you. 

Anonymous

• A concern that I would have would be whether the new baby would get enough if the baby is competing with the older child for the milk. Perhaps this isn't a valid concern, though.

Answer by Bmat at 5:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I dont think anyone should brestfeed their baby past 1 year old. I think its like sexual assult for the child... I think its grose how your even thinking about it. -I agree with one of the other's. It sounds like your only thinking about it, as an added benifit for you, not for your son. Theres other ways of calming your childen other then pushing your boob in their face!
    Anonymous

• I couldn't imagine having my 2 year old suck on my breast. She's a big girl, she poops in the potty. She's not a baby! You need to be concerned about your new little one getting what he needs to eat. Your two year old should be on solid food.
    Anonymous