Why at this day in age are people so IGNORANT about addiction?

allilali

Asked by allilali at 5:44 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Because they want to feel superior. A lot of them probably either have never been through it or seen it, or they do it/did it themselves and just don't want to look bad or they regret it doing and down you about it to make themselves feel better.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:02 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i agree that people are very ignorant about addiction, but why did you post this in "pregnancy"?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:46 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Because they don't want to believe that someone they love can be addicted to something. Or if it's them, they can always make an excuse for the behavior.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Probably because they haven't ben through it- "ignorance is bliss"
    Anonymous

• Because everyone assumes that addicts are all low life criminals. No one ever wants to acknowledge that addiction comes in all shapes and forms and affects millions of people from all walks of life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on May. 7, 2010

• KTMOM. I posted this in pregnancy becuse yesturday I posted a question about smoking while pregnant. I am a recovering cocaine addict, of almost 4 years now. I smoked with my first and am really trying not to with this baby. I quit for 3 months and a large amount of loss, death, and deppresion has consumed me so I started to smoke again. I feel guilty and am trying to see if electronic cigarettes may be safer. I got emails that were CRUEL, NASTY, MEAN, and ignorant. Smoking is harder to quit than cocaine TRUST ME I KNOW. I am doing the best I can!

allilali

Answer by allilali at 6:06 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My dad quit smoking when he was in his late 40's. He had been smoking since age 9. I know it's hard. I watched him. He did it cold turkey by chewing gum and drinking lots of water. Every time he wanted something in his mouth he chewed gum (plain sugarless gum) or drank water.

Many women can quit smoking cold turkey while pregnant because the pregnancy hormones make smoking seem repulsive. I'm a total coffee addict, but couldn't stand even the smell while pregnant.

Good luck to you and I'm so glad you're trying to quit. But, for the sake of your baby, please try harder.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:13 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i went through the same thing you did. i did alot of hardcore drugs when i was younger up until i was 19 almost 20. i got pregnant when i was 21, i quit for the first 3 months, and then all kinds of horrible shit started happening i said i would just smoke one ciggerate when i was hanging with a friend and it all went down hill for me. from there on in, i quit for 2 weeks, smoked for a week, quit for 2, smoked for 1, on and on.. until the last 2-3 months i was just smoking 3 ciggs a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one at night. i felt so guilty, i had nightmares everynight, i still feel guilty. its horrible. i wish so bad i never picked up a ciggerate ever. they control me. im having such a hard time quitting. i dont know what to do. ive been thinking about trying getting hypnotized. anyway, you should try harder - my son was born 6 weeks early. who knows if it was cuz of the smoking. plus i know that if i can
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• never quit, i wont get pregnant again. but thats not gonna happen ...im going to quit because i want more kids. i think that since you already smoked with ur first pregnancy and knew how guilty u felt & shit, you shouldnt have gotten pregnant again until you quit for good. but im not judging you, nobodys perfect. believe me, i know how hard it is. good luck <3
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:21 PM on May. 7, 2010