• In the Spotlight:

Grandma Question

My beautiful daughter had a beautiful daughter 7mths ago. Do any of you grandmothers have advice on how I can encourage my nuerotic daughter? Shes constantly calling me convinced she's either done something wrong or is going to do something wrong that will cause irreversible harm. Shes a wonderful loving mother but shes driving me nuts :)

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 5:58 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Reassure her. Don't make her feel that she's nuts. New moms are often unsure of themselves.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:10 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Advise her to come on here and get answers AND find out that no mom knows "everything".
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Wow...she's still doing it after seven months??? I would start pointing out things you notice she does that are spot on or clever in her parenting. When she comes up with a way to calm the baby say something "Oh, that's such a good idea. I never would have thought of that." or when she handles a situation perfectly let her know what a good job she did without her having to ask you if she handled it okay. For instance, baby gets a cold with a mild fever. She feeds the baby extra fluids, call her pediatrician for advice, and provides extra cuddle time and possibly a fever reducer and humidifier. When she calls to tell you this so she can ask the inevitable "What else can I do???" or "Should I have not done/done this???" beat her to the punch and say "It seems like you handled that very well. When I first had you I had no idea what to do when you got sick!" (Even if that is an embellishment). She needs to trust her own instincts.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:55 PM on May. 7, 2010