Just not wanting to potty train

I have a 2 yo, a 1 yo and another due in Aug. I have tried to start potty training my oldest since a yr and a half, stopped b/c she didn't seem interested and started picking up again after her 2 yr birthday. She seemed okay with it at first but then when I put a schedule to sit on the potty she'd throw a fit every time and I would literally have to drag her to the potty. I was doing the every 20 mins. Then I changed that to after every meal. Still the same reaction. I tried treats, reading to her while she was on there and telling her she's a "big girl now". I tried pull ups, underwear, nothing works. I tried the toilet seat attachment and a potty of her own. Nothing. She will be 3 this September and I am worried she won't be potty trained by then. I stopped for now b/c it was so much of a hassle to get her to use it. What am I doing wrong or is it ok that she's not trained yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• What you need to do is stay consistent. No kid wants to potty every 20min.. should do it every hour at the soonest. Try stickers for going potty on the toilet, worked really well at the daycare I worked at. She'll train when she's ready.
    Anonymous

• She is not ready! Its OK to stop. If you continue to push it you will prolong the process and frustrate both of you. I think the term "potty training" is wrong. It should be "potty learning" You can't train your kid, you can only teach them when they're ready. Trust me...I know! My oldest DS didn't show ANY signs by his 3rd birthday. His ped said most kids are ready by 3, but its also normal to not be. At 3 1/2, he finally started showing signs, but still not ready. Literally 2 weeks before his 4th birthday he decided to learn. He went from not using potty at all, to completely in underwear, night time and all in a 3 day period. His little sister was a completely different story. She was potty trained night time and all by 2 yrs 3 months and was easy as pie.
    Anonymous

• She's not ready yet. Nowadays a lot of kids (mine included) are not potty trained until they are 3 or 4.
    Anonymous

• Holy crap - a potty schedule?? So, DO YOU PEE EVERY 20 MINUTES?? There is no potty schedule. And not every child is ready or capable of being potty trained at age 2.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:16 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Wait until the child is ready.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:28 PM on May. 7, 2010

• If you make this a battle where you are dragging her...you are going to lose! She is not ready and you have to wait until she is.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:45 PM on May. 10, 2010