Car Seat Question

I have a forward facing car seat for my 3.5 year old. I am confused about using it as a high-backed booster with the seat belt (after she grows out of the 5pt. harness). Doesn't the chair itself need to be attached to the seat of the car? It seems like that would be really unsafe, unless I just misunderstood the directions. I was just wondering, I don't need to worry about it for a few more years (65lbs).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't use latch with the booster. When the seat is being used as a 5 point it is attached to the car by latch or seat belt and the child is attached to the seat. When you're using it as a booster with a seat belt it is the seat belt that is holding the child in. You want the seat to move forward with the child in the event of a crash because it cocoons them between the seat belt and the booster seat. If the booster seat were secured to the car seat via latch then it couldn't move and the child could slip out. I know having the seat unsecured seems a bit counter-intuitive but once you actually think about the physics of the situation it makes sense.

Incidentally, remember to put the belt over the seat if you're driving without a child in it. You don't want something that size and weight flying around in the case of a crash but it's something a lot of people don't think about.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:09 PM on May. 8, 2010

• No. Once the seat is used with the seatbelt you no longer use latch system. Just the seat belt!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 6:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• The reason that you don't need to attach the booster seat to the seat of your car once a 5-pt harness isn't used any longer, is because the booster seat is simply to position the child at a height tall enough to safely be able to use the car's seat belt. The booster seat doesn't have to be attached to the car seat, because the seat belt provides all of the resistance that is needed during a crash.
    Anonymous

• OP Here:
    Even the high-backed booster? It just seems that if we got in a fender-bender, the weight of the seat + the weight of my child against the seat belt could cause further injury, because the seat would be hurled against her body.

Are there any videos out there that show a high-backed booster in a crash test?

Also, we don't have latch in our car.
    Anonymous