How much do house cleaners charge?

I was wondering because my friend and I are thinking of doing house cleaning and maybe clean some businesses. We just don't know how much to charge and whether to charge by hour or room. How much should we charge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• the lady whos cleaned my house, and my moms, and my aunts charges a basic flat rate for the size of the house. my mom has a 1 floor 3 bdrm 1 bthrm house, its kind of small but not really really small, she pays her $100 bucks. for my 1 bdrm apartment, she would take $25 off.
    we live in ny btw
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:23 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Well I live in Texas and I've only known one person to do housekeeping and she charged like $50 an hour but I think a flat rate is better. I think we can work something out like that lady. Thank you so much!!
    Anonymous

• I clean house for a woman and she pays me 10dollars an hour and I work at least 8hrs every week.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 6:41 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My SIL lives in CA and she charges $12/hour, and has no previous cleaning expirience.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:02 PM on May. 7, 2010

• $15 hour in Ma. I clean houses for a living. this basic cleaning if you want extra done (windows, moving things, walls..ect)) you better be giving me at least $18. I work fast I can clean a whole house in about 3 hours. as in 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, living, dineing.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:46 PM on May. 7, 2010

• It depends on whether it's a one time cleaning, a biweekly cleaning, or once/month; also, it will vary widely depending on what area of the country you live in. Around here, it's a flat rate based on the size of the house and how "detailed" you want the cleaning to be. Call a few places around you and see what their rates are.

Answer by missanc at 8:48 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I work for myself for a family I get 10 hours a week,its detail cleaning I'm talking super duper clean. I clean windows inside and out,I wash interior and exterior doors,scrub all 5 bathroom top to bottom,wash all the baseboards,moldings, door casings,door knobs, I also wash light fixtures as needed,dust the stair banisters,scrub all the wood floors with special wood floor cleaner. I also do some of the laundry,if theirs towels that need folding I do it,if she has some laundry in the dryer I get them into the dryer. I also keep their pantry sparkling,and I do a weekly scrub of all the cabinets in their home. I also wash the walls twice a month,and wipe down all the light switches and plug plates,and take out all the trash. Then if thats all done I also go and vaccuum his shop and dust and scrub the windows. I get $10 an hour and am thinking of asking him for a 1.00 raise cause its been over three years.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:52 PM on May. 7, 2010

• MarGee, I am sorry but they are taking advantage of you! Your doing too much they should be paying your at least $18 a hour. If I were you and don't get that raise I would QUIT!! yeah that is right QUIT! they are totally using you.. Sorry. I clean house for a living as well as my reg. on the clock work and I sure would not do all that for under $ 180 for 10 hours.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:50 PM on May. 8, 2010