is autism really considered "special needs" and this is a real question, i really don't know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes it is. It is a mental disability and a child with autism has special needs that differ from those of a child without the handicap.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:23 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Yes, it is.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:25 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Yes, a child with autism is considered to be a child with special needs.

Any child with any type of disability is considered to be a child with special needs.
    Anonymous

• It's a developmental disability not a mental disability. Yes, it's special needs. My son is autistic and has had special services since he was 3.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:28 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I agree with Cindy18. My son was diagnosed at 3 years old with classic autism. It is a developmental disability and children and adults do have special needs. I expect my son will be receiving special services for the rest of his life.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:20 PM on May. 7, 2010