What do you say when your child calls you mean, say that you're not nice to them, etc. ?

My son just turned 7 and is becoming a little monster! Not literally, he's a great kid-very bright but becoming a bit oppositional. Whenever he's being scolded for something he'll scream that I'm mean, not a nice mom, etc. I know this can be normal, but how do other moms respond? I tend to not make a huge deal of it and tell him "oh well, I wouldn't have to be mean if you'd listen"..or something along those lines...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• If my DD says I am not being nice, I look at her and say "You are not being very nice either my dear." I explain that I am SAD or UPSET because of what SHE is doing. That usually is when she refuses to clean up her toys, refuses to eat, screams about going to sleep.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• My DD is 3.5. When she says I'm mean, I say "I'm sorry you feel I'm being mean right now. If you would listen to mommy and mind I wouldn't have to discipline you (I never agree that I'm mean) and I could do more playing and singing with you."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:36 PM on May. 7, 2010

• "That's right. You've got the meanest mommy in the world. And she says it's time to do your homework."

He still hasn't figured out how to respond when I agree with him.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:37 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would say "Good you think that, I am doing my job as a MOM then". Yes do not let him think you are upset over what he said. He is just trying to get his way that is all.

Answer by louise2 at 6:39 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Give em a reason to cry...heh...jk jk
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 6:43 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I tell him its not my job to be nice, its my job to make sure he makes it to adulthood in one piece!
    Anonymous

• Tell him that the world is full of meanies and your one of the nice ones :)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:00 PM on May. 7, 2010

• This means I am doing my job as a mom...

writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:03 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I say "that's my job! That's what mom's do!"
    Anonymous

• My child has never said it. And she's going on 10.
    Anonymous