Amniocentesis

im getting one to check if the babies lungs are devloped how long would it take to get the results back? i was also wondering does it hurt getting it? its my 1st time getting one and ill be 36 weeks when i get it im high risk pregnant and thats why ill be getting induced thanks for the answers ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have had them done. I am not sure how long it would take to get your results back but I do remember that it was painful. When they put the needle in it is not too bad but when they start taking the fluid out it did hurt.
    Anonymous

• I had mine done at a hospital half an hour away from my house. I had the amnio, was put on a monitor for I think 45 minutes, and went home. We got a call on my cell phone as we were pulling into our driveway that the first test had come back borderline, so they were sending it to a more sensitive lab. We got those results back about 20 hours after the amnio. As for the test itself, it really was not painful, but it was creepy as hell and when they went through one layer, I felt a metallic feeling in my mouth like I had bit down on a fork. Apparently there's some name for it when they go through that layer and the metallic thing happens. That was very weird.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:33 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I had one done when I was 38 wks they were going to take her she had a bladder problem wasn't peeing her bladder was all the way to her diafram. They numbed the area didn't hurt just felt pressure. They put me in the hospital and about 3 hours later they said that her lungs were fine put me on potosin. They said she looked like she would be 6 pds 7 ounces ha ha ha she was 5 pds 5 in a half ounces but she was healthy still couldn't figure out why she wasn't peeing but after 4 days everything was fine. So good luck to you. I'm on my second pregnancy now and I'm hoping this one doesn't have the same complication.
    MrsMorton080508

Answer by MrsMorton080508 at 10:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i got mine within 5 hours and had her the next day by getting induced i was 35 weeks healthy as ever ;-) goodluck oh it kinda hurt s getting it cause they had to do it 4 times cause baby was moving too much lol once again goodluck ;-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010