What would you do if your child threw ice at another child? Was I in the wrong?

I took my son to the playground today and there was another boy about 7 or 8 years old. My son is 5 and is very friendly. He went up to the boy and asked to be friends. The boy ignored him and walked away. My son kept going up to him and asking him questions. The boy started saying some hateful things so I told my son that he needed to find another friend to play with or play by himself and that he needed to leave this boy alone. All was good until my son realized that the boy had left his toy at the top of the play area and went to take it to him. The boy yelled at him to leave him alone and threw ice at him. When the mom finally showed up I told her that her son owes mine an appology and explained what happened. She just looked at me and started to walk off. The boy took it upon himself to appologize. The mom then told him not to appologize! Was I in the wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• umm that other mom really needs to pay more attention to her child! And be a little more respectful to other moms. It was nice that the boy said sorry anyway
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:04 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would tell the mother what happened. Personally, I would address it in a "just so you know" manner because people often get their feathers ruffled when someone tells them what to do, especially in regards to parenting. I don't think you were wrong to advise her of her son's rude behavior, and it seems obvious where he gets it.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:06 PM on May. 7, 2010

• You weren't out of line, and if it were me, I'd have probably been arrested!! When my kids do something wrong, I make them apologize. She sounds like a sorry excuse for a parent and her poor son is following in her footsteps.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:20 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I applaud you. Kids don't need to be rude and disrespectful. It's sad that that boy hasn't learned that.
    melriah30

Answer by melriah30 at 7:31 PM on May. 7, 2010

• You were not out of line and the mother should have been there to supervise her own child so that this wouldn't have happened in the first place.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:41 PM on May. 7, 2010

• uh, no... and then when the mom walked away then I would politly inform her that she had best keep an eye on her son because next time he "assults" my child, I will be calling the cops. I'm not to friendly with parents like that, there was a kid once that slapped my daughter acrossed the face ( she was 2) and all the mom said was "boys will be boys"... I'm not above being a witch when it comes to my kids, I would inconvenance the crap out of that lady since its aparently to much of an inconvenance to parent her own child.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:15 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would laugh... Sorry, but I would!
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies. I was afraid that my son and I were in the wrong. At least that is what she told me. As she was walking off she said that my son needs to apologize for annoying her son. I admit, my son can annoy people but throwing ice at him is not the answer either.

Anonymous

_______
    Perfect answer.

I would have been more concerned that my son would say something hateful to another child, than throwing ice unless he threw it in anger. I would have made sure that my son apologized immediately though.

I am a bit of a mama bear and if I see an older child bully or hurt another child, it is hard for me to not come un-glued. If you hadn't said anything to the mother or caretaker, I would have.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 8:28 PM on May. 7, 2010

• oh hell no. I would be livid. I would have told that mom off.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 9:24 PM on May. 7, 2010