What is the difference between Asperger's and just a kid who is shy and has trouble making friends?

I'm not asking this to be offensive or rude, I just really want to know because I don't know much about Asperger's. How do you actually differentiate between a child who has Asperger's and one who is just shy, or backward or just "different"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There is a big difference. For instance, my son has AS, is trust me, it is NOT just being shy (which he's not) amd having "trouble" making friends. AS kids do not have the capacity to make friends without help. Check out these links.

http://www.aspergers.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Alos keep in mind that it is Autism, just a milder form, and that it affects everyone differently.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:26 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Most children with Asperger's Syndrome are typically not shy at all. It isn't that they are afraid to interact with people, as a shy child is, it is that their social skills are so awkward that the other kids will either make fun of them or shun them or both. Kids with Asperger's Syndrome typically want friends, but just don't have a clue how to appropriately interact with or engage other peoples' attention. Children who are just shy know what to do, they're just afraid to do it. Children who are shy have the appropriate skills to make friends & interact with other people once they are comfortable with them, but kids with Asperger's Syndrome still can't behave appropriately with people they do know, let alone don't know, not until they are taught the appropriate skills (and some with Asperger's will never learn them, no matter how much you try to teach them).
    Anonymous