Should I prewash my material?

I have been recommended to both wash before I sew and to not wash my material before I sew. I'm sure it differs depending on what I am making. Baby clothes? Cloth books? Nursing covers?

mommie_2boys

Asked by mommie_2boys at 7:57 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'd prewash before you even cut a pattern, just so you know exactly how much it'll shrink
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:00 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I wash before I sew, just because fabrics can shrink after washing. I prefer to wash and dry the fabric as I will after my project is made, that way hopefully once it's been sewn, it won't shrink anymore. I do have friends who say they never wash first....I personally prefer to wash.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:00 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would wash every material before using it - if you think that it will ever be washed. If you are making elaborate curtains, you could probably skip the washing. But for anything else, it can be tempting to want to jump right into a project and not take the time to wash it, but it is worth it in the end!
    Anonymous

• I always wash before sewing anything... I use a lot of cotton cloth. As my husband says, "Please allow for shrinkage!" LOL
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:41 AM on May. 8, 2010

• if its something people will wear, and will normall go in the wash, prewash before cutting because some company's fabric shrink big time!
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010