What is the best thing to major in when you don't know what to major in?

I have already taken all of my core classes and I even started a Bachelor's program but soon found out it was not for me. I have thought about either majoring in History with a teacher certification or Criminal Justice. I would really like to do the history but I know that it will be about 4 or 5 years before there will be any education jobs in my area. I am also interested in Criminal Justice so that I can be a probation officer but I am afraid that once I start taking the classes I might lose interest. I know I don't want to do Elementary Education or Business. Does it really matter what I major in as long as I get a Bachelor's Degree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on May. 7, 2010 in

• i just finished my associates degree and was planning on going for my bacelors in elementary ed, but with all these teachers getting laid off around here im second guessing that now. im going to takea yr off school and work while i figure things out, but im also starting to lean more towards criminal justice also because there are so many more opportunitys in that field, correctional offier, cop, probation officer, etc. - and i dont think those jobs are going anywhere so. nursing is really good too though, but im horrible at science.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:22 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Hon, if you are going to spend all that time and money, at least get something you can find a job doing once you graduate.....and yes, it really does matter what you major in...they aren't going to let you do surgery with a history degree.....
    If you need to find yourself-join the peace corp or something....
    Anonymous

• If you really want to do History with teaching certification, do it. You can always sub for a year or two until you can get a permanent position.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I realize that I can't do surgery with a history degree but with all the jobs in my area the qualifications are a Bachelor's degree. Some require a B.S. in this or that but most just say Bachelor's degree.

Anonymous

• yes a bachelor's degree-but in an actual relevant major.....a bachelor's degree in and of itself is not going to do it for you.
    Anonymous

• It depends on where you live, and what they are hiring for in your area. Where I live is one of the top places for pharmaceutical companies, so when I went back to school it was for a 2 year pharmaceutical degree (I already have my BA in History w/ my teaching cert for 9-12) and if I ever go back to school it will be for my BS in chemistry. But that's because where I live, there are tons of pharma jobs, that may not be the case everywhere. I would research the local job market and companies and then make my decision based on that.

Answer by missanc at 8:27 PM on May. 7, 2010

• nursing!! high demand!!. and you can take that to any state or even country !
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:35 PM on May. 7, 2010

• You can get a General Studies Degree. You can get any type of Sales Rep job upon graduation, including a Drug Rep- and they make lots of money!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:47 PM on May. 7, 2010

• DO something you are interested in. But business will cover a wide range of professions, even if you have to go back for a few credits in something.
    On the other hand, I am gonna be an economics major, which I think gives a person a leg up over the regular business majors cuz you cover that stuff plus finances, etc.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:05 PM on May. 7, 2010

• general studies won't get you squat except a load of loans you won't have a job to pay for....pick something you really are interested in AND something that will land you a JOB!
    I do think there is nothing wrong with taking a variety of classes the first year to see what you might like-just don't waste it on stupid stuff....
    Anonymous