neighbor drama

Ok...my son was over at the neighbor's playing (he's almost 7)..I was out front talking with the other moms...my son comes around saying a grown-up wants to talk to me. I go back there and the dad of the son who lives behind the neighbor is irate saying my son hit his 3 year old in the head and he is inside crying and won't come out.
I stay calm and ask my son what happened. He insists he didn't do anything...maybe it was an accident?? He still says he didn't do anything. I think, well it was prob just an accident-my son really isn't the type to slug anyone-esp a 3 year old-but I have him apologize just to end it.
My question is---this guy (whom I never met) was a bit irrational...there was no blood...no one got hurt....my son was not at his house, the 3 year old was at my neighbors (unsupervised btw)..we don't really know what happened...but the guy looked like he wanted to hit my son.
Cont.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on May. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• OP cont....
    I mean he was the one letting his 3 year old go unsupervised to a neighbor's house....I thought I handled it well, but later got mad thinking what if my son really didn't do anything??? Do you think this guy overreacted????
    Anonymous

• even if he did hit him you did all the right things in my opinion. Then if there were no obvious marks he may not have even been hit or if hit not very hard.Of course we don't want our 7 yr olds beating a 3 yr which is how that guy acted but sounds like you were very sorry and talked to your son about it. I have a 6 yr old and if he said he did not hit a kid I would believe him because he doesn't lye about that type of stuff either.
    Anonymous

• Well, someone did get hurt...the 3 year old. No, based on what you wrote, I don't think that the father overreacted at all. Actually, I think he handled it well by asking your son to get you instead of yelling at your son. I also think that you handled it well by having your son say that he was sorry.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:59 PM on May. 7, 2010

• well that's the thing...I am not sure he got hurt-but either way shouldn't the dad take some responsibility for not supervising a child so young??
    Anonymous

• Not necessarily. If the kids often play together, or if the mom of the house was supposed to be watching the kids but was out talking to the neighbors, or if the dad was watching from his yard/home I don't see that he was responsible for an accident. Kids of all ranges run around the immediate neighbors' homes all of the time where I live. We all keep a loose eye on them,
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:05 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Well, you weren't watching your son either so why get on to him about it?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:19 PM on May. 7, 2010

Really? The kid is 7, a lot different than leaving a 3 year old!

Anonymous

• Yeah he's older but doesn't know everything.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:27 PM on May. 7, 2010

• SaraP, there is a big difference in a 3 year old and a 7 year old.

Anonymous

• So, SaraP, in your logical thinking a 21 year old (or however old you are) doesn't know everything either. So, should we say as a society that since 21 year old's don't know everything then they shouldn't have children?

Anonymous