Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anything about the foster care system?

My husband and I are interested in fostering a child but we have one concern. My husband plead guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor in 2004 on a differed sentence and judgment. In 2005 violated his probation and the judgment was entered. He was 18 at the time and is now 25. The minor in question was his 16 year old girlfriend. We have 3 children of our own now. We have a very loving home. Do you think an exception could be made if we can prove we are a good foster home?


Asked by ABusyBee at 9:07 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Adoption

Level 18 (5,804 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • they look at things that have to do with harming children. The best thing to do is apply, be honest when answering any questions. They will ask him to explain what happened. he will also have to get the arrest record. They do a sled check which is finding things that not everyone will be able to find. Say if he went to get a job and they did a backgound check they may not find that record on him, but when CPS/DSS does them they will find it. So do tell the truth. I do not see that being a problem for you guys being able to foster or adopt a child.

    Go for it, its worth the try.
    foster/adoptive mom,.Katina

    Answer by 4thLuvofChildrn at 2:54 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Every state is different. But here as long as your not a felon anything goes. The best thing to do is to be very honest about the whole experience. You don't want them to think your hiding anything. Good Luck.

    Answer by BlooBird at 9:10 PM on May. 7, 2010

  • It will depend on your state. My DH has 2 felonies, but according to PA State law that won't stop us from fostering, because they are more than 7 years old. You should be able to talk to an attorney and have them removed from his record as long as he hasn't been in trouble since. Call an attorney and see what they say.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on May. 7, 2010

  • I am sorry, I did not specify. In Colorado, Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is a felony. He has not been in any other trouble.

    Answer by ABusyBee at 9:16 PM on May. 7, 2010

  • yes every state is diff i have a felony for burglary that like your hubby only opposite was kuse my ex boyfriend was a behind end of a horse (not saying your hubby is that's just my stitch.) but where i live if we owned our home i could have a foster child. just find out your states laws most likely his was a misdemeanor not a felony and if it was not a vary big one. but good luck. keep in mind that the foster kids come and go.

    Answer by Manda_Evans at 9:21 PM on May. 7, 2010

  • I should add that my mother had the same type of record. And it's a felony here as well. But she was able to have her record erased after 7 years - it cost her about $5K to do, but was worth it.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

  • Normally it is frowned upon to have a record but, a judge can wave it. Being that it was child related I suggest you talk to your local Child Welfare agency to find out.

    Answer by mceama at 10:12 PM on May. 7, 2010

  • :( we cannot foster

    Answer by ABusyBee at 2:47 PM on May. 13, 2010