Move with newborns?

i live in fl and I am only 22 years old (going on 23) A part time personal trainer and a part time student on nutrition. My financial status isn't AMAZING due to me being a student but when I found out I was pregnant I was pretty sure my boyfriend and I would be just fine...

Later on I found out that I was having twins. So now i'm a little worried. DOUBLE THE WORK DOUBLE THE FUNDS! After a month of talking it over, my boyfriend and I decided it would be best to move in with his wealthy parents all the way in NJ, that way we could save some money to buy or own house.

My problem is..... My health insurance through my job only permits me to give birth here in FL for as long as I am on leave. Is it safe to move two newborns such long distances? Should I wait till they are at least 6 months? Do we drive? Do we fly? Please... any advice would be helpful, esp if someone has every been in this kind of situation

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 10:10 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't offer advice because I've never done it but the best place to ask would be the maternity nurses at your hospital. My twins spent some time in the NICU after arriving early and those gals were fabulous and would answer ANY question at ANY time for us....give them a call and run it by them.

And congrats! Has the shock worn off yet? Mine never really went away...I still look at mine sometimes and feel surprised..and they are almost 2! We have 3 other sets of twins in my family, two of them belonging to my older sisters who have a set each! When are you due?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:29 PM on May. 7, 2010

• nope the shock is still there. but when I think about it, I wouldnt have it any other way! I feel so lucky! I'm only 12 weeks and 5 days so we are looking at around mid november
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 10:31 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I can't say about newborns but when my DD was 3 months old we took an 18 hour drive and it was torture! She slept a lot of the time but having to stop everytime she needed a diaper change or a feeding meant a lot of stops. Not to mention that everytime we pulled her out of the carseat you could just see her stretching like she was feeling very cramped. We also flew with her and it was much simpler than I expected. She was happy the whole time since she was being held and you get to go to the front of all the lines!
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 10:44 PM on May. 7, 2010

• we moved from miami to orlando with my daughter when she was 10 days old. It was about a 4 hour drive. It went really well b/c she slept most of the way. We stopped at a rest stop after 2 hours and fed and changed her and she went back to sleep for a couple hours.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:35 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Moving will not effect them. It would be easiest to fly with yourself & another adult when the twins are New & are going to sleep the entire flight. Im not saying drag them through the airport the day you get released from hospital- but they will be just fine a week or two after birth.
    You could try driving- but that could make for a VERY long trip if the babies dont decide to sleep/eat @ the same time!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:27 AM on May. 8, 2010

• there are things you will need to consider.
    will you be breast feeding or formula feeding?
    will you be driving or flying?
    there are things you can do to make things easier for you.
    as a student of fitness and nutrition, you should be aware that it is believed that many multiples are premature b/c mama is under nourished...so eat, eat and eat some more! if you don't have to deal with preemie issues, the move after the birth will be much easier : ) our twins were born at home full term but it was hard work to make that happen too!
    we moved during my 2nd trimester while being pregnant with twins. we didn't know it was twins at the time of the move. i couldn't imagine having to move until they were at least 6 months old, but we were breast feeding, which can make a difference.
    congratulations on your twins!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:46 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I moved when my son was 2 weeks old, not far we stayed in the same county but my advice is make sure everything but the bare essentials are packed before you give birth. Keep one set of dishes, silverware, glasses, just the basic pots and pans out but pack up everything. You won't want to do anything but throw your clothes in a box after they are born. My little one had no idea we were moving so as to age the babies won't notice anything and having done a little bit of traveling I think it's easier with newborns because they don't really require entertainment. Even a 6 month old gets bored staring at the back of a seat all day.
    punkrockermama

Answer by punkrockermama at 11:27 AM on May. 8, 2010

• would it be possible to get moved before they are born?.. because most newborn twins require time in the nicu and it would be eaiser if they were born after you move, That way you will already be in the inlaws place and the hospital will be closer for you to visit them if they need to stay after you go home.. IF NOT, newborns dont need to walk or crawl around and will most likely sleep most the way, so i dont think it will be much of a hassel.. good luck!
    Anonymous

• Moving with them will be fine! Much better than being uninsured :-) There are pro's and con's to driving and flying and you guys will just have to decide what's best for your family. I personally would want to have a car in my new state so that I would have my own ride :-) I have driven with babies before and you will just have to stop and nurse (if you are doing that). I have also flown with babies. It will be fine! Good luck!
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 4:41 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I moved with an older babe (4 months); dh drove our car and I flew. If you can get a direct flight this may be the better option. You can put covers over their carseats.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:22 PM on May. 8, 2010