3 hour glucose test??

i failed my 1 hour.... i am thinking it is because i drank apple juice before i went in but diabetes does run in my family.

is the 3 day carb diet before the 4 hour test necessary? what is the point of the diet part? if i didn't follow it would it make a difference?

has anyone had Gestational Diabetes and what do they make you do if you do have it? sorry so many questions i just don't know...

joycegina

Asked by joycegina at 10:18 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it and had to check my sugar 5 times a day...after 2 months of my sugar being fine I got to go down to 2 times a day. I don't think that I failed mine by much since I never went over the entire time I was pregnant.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 PM on May. 7, 2010

• ok you can not drink sugary juice before that test and expect to pass. please listen to the instructions and follow them the next time. Ges diabetes doesnt have to be scarey if you take care of yourself. its usually diet controlled, but even with meds, its not horrible.
    BUT untreated and you can do alot of damage to your baby so PLEASE take the test and do what they say.
    Anonymous

• I failed the one hour and didn't go back for the three hour. I hardly ate sugar so of course my blood sugar is going to be through the roof when I drink pure sugar..
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:33 PM on May. 7, 2010

• They should have told you to not drink anything or eat anything before the first test.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:40 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Yes, the juice would affect it. Yes, the diet is necessary. Follow it!

I had it, it was diet controlled sometimes people need to be put on insulin.

In my opinion, it would be pretty irresponsible to not do it the way the doctor's instructions say to. There is a lot of long term damage that can happen to you, not to mention to the baby if you do not control your sugar if you have it.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:51 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Oh yeah, just to add.....if your pancreas is working properly, it should take care of the carbs you are eating on that diet. If it doesn't your pancreas isn't working and you have diabetes. They want you to eat specifically so they can see what it does to your sugar.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:54 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I failed the one hour because I ate breakfast and the candy bar and juice and had to go back for the 3hr. They told me to fast tho from 12am till my appoitment at 9am. Then I had to fast from 9am till 12pm when the test was done. I passed that one, they said my blood looked perfect. Im not sure about the diet but I would do what they say and follow it. Why risk it.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:05 PM on May. 7, 2010

• ah I failed mine too, going back Tues for the 3hour....a lot of people fail the first one and pass the 3 hour, I am gladly going in even though boredom frightens me.... I wasn't told to stick to any kind of diet in the days before the test though, just not to eat before that one after midnight/same as one of the other moms who posted. Anyhoos...luck and positiveness be with you for your health and for staying sane during hte 3 hours of boredom :)
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 8:46 AM on May. 9, 2010