What would you say if your daughter told you she doesnt want to go to college or finish school because she plans on being a homemaker?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My sister's like that.....but you can't force them to do anything. My mom said you better marry someone rich then!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:38 PM on May. 7, 2010

• OMG!!! I have girls and I hope and pray they will not! I want them to graduate HS then go to college. But if they're over the age of 18 then there's nothing I can do.
    Anonymous

• I'd explain to her that she shouldn't rely on a guy for money or support and that going to school would be a great back up plan. I'd also show her divorce rates.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:43 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I'll encourage her to go to college and explain to her that if anything were to happen such as widowed or divorce she wouldn't have anything to fall back on but with college degree she'll have something.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:44 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I have several friends who graduated from college, knowing full well they wanted to stay home and raise kids. They say it was the best thing they've ever done--once you have that degree, no one can take it away from you. I might take some heat for this, but out of my circle of friends (so I know it's not statistically significant or anything :), they seem to be, in my opinion, the best moms. They are the most patient and seem to do the best overall job with their kids, and I think it's because they know they have options. The SAHMs I know who don't have a degree all had their kids young and unplanned, and feel trapped by it.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:48 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I would tell her I felt the same way at one time. Then my husband died leaving me with a 6 month old daughter. I had to scramble to get my degree so I could support her. It was rough. A co-worker of mine was a homemaker, her husband had a major stroke at the age of 41, leaving her with three boys and a severely disabled husband to care for. It is better to be prepared to support your family, you never know what your future may hold.
    KayB48

Answer by KayB48 at 10:52 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Whats wrong with that?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:01 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i would tell her shes an idiot, and that as long as she lives under my roof she is going to finish school & go to college, or shes going to be completley on her own so she better go meet her husband right now.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:04 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I purposefully waited until I had a degree to settle down, get married & have a kid. I realize not all families start this way but if she is exploring her options & not just telling you she's pregnant talk to her. Why doesn't she want to go to school? Does she hate school & have a hard time? If so its not the most appealing option. Make sure she's not picking the homemaker option bc she doesn't feel like she doesn't have any other choices or bc of a certain boy or bc she wants a child to love. That being said, I know some wonderful 18 yr old moms, but they're the exception. Also, most men @ a younger age have a hard time settling down & being faithful. I'm glad I got to live my life, no regrets or missed opportunities or things I had to sacrifice bc of a baby. Glad I waited!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:05 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Tell her that being a good wife and mother still requires her to think. College isn't only about getting a job, it's about learning skills your will take with you throughout your life. It's learning how to learn, learning things about yourself, and learning things about your world; all of which will make you a better wife and mother. The more she knows the better equip she will be to guide her children.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:08 PM on May. 7, 2010