Is there an age when boys start eating a lot more?

Ours is 6yo, almost 7. He's not extremely active though so I don't want to be overfeeding him, because he's the kind of kid who will eat a lot, not because he's hungry but because something just "tastes good." Or for example, he'll conveniently be full of his dinner, but then say he wants dessert - which he often won't get.

Is there more of a "set age" when boys generally start to get into the "nothing-fills-me-up" stage so I have an idea when to expect this, and not have to guess if he's just saying he's hungry to get something more of what he likes, rather than is hungry enough to need. (The best way to counteract this with him for right now is, if he says he's still hungry and I think he's just trying to get more of the "junkier" foods, I'll offer him fresh veggies, which he likes, but I know he won't eat more of if he's not really hungry.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on May. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My younger two boys are all pretty active, but at around maybe 12 or 13, their appetites really increased. They are 18 & 20 (+27 year old on his own) now, and still have large appetites, but again they are still extremely active. The 27 year old wasn't as active, more into computers and books, but also never hit a stage where he could just inhale food look the younger two. He was much less expensive to feed!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:08 PM on May. 7, 2010

• i would keep up with offering veggies when he says he is still hungry if he has a tendancy to just eat for flavor.

however, my kids always go through spurts where they eat A LOT and then they will go a couple weeks of not eating much and then it balances out and then they hit a spurt of eating a lot again. it generally follows when they are getting ready to grow a bunch or when they are busy in sports and extra curriculars. i am surprised you haven't seen these flucuations already. my SKs are 6 and 9. My dd is 22 months. I know though, that my mom said I didn't do a lot of the flucuating like that like my sister.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:11 PM on May. 8, 2010

• just keep offering the healthier choices and as long as he's not overweight... I wouldn't fuss too much. Kids go through growth spurts on and off -- my son (6) just recently had a major hunger time (he was eating his food and sis's and then more) I let him be.
    Now my dd sounds more like what you are thinking -- she's out for sweets and junk food. My rules you must finsh ALL on your plate b/f you can ask for dessert -- which is typically 100% applesauce or yogurt or other fruits etc. to help keep it down.
    I also try to keep munchie veggies around for snacking. (she's a carbo freak since the womb!!!)

but... for us the fluctuations seem to be pretty common. Lots of eating coupled or follwed with sleeping.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:35 AM on May. 9, 2010

• My boys are 10 and 12 and it was around 10 that they started getting to the point where I had a hard time keeping them full. I just point them to the fresh fruits/veggies or yogurt in the fridge. If they are hungry, they will eat the healthy stuff.

Answer by missanc at 8:26 PM on May. 9, 2010