how to stop a baby from bitting?

my 18 months old son bits alot how can i stop him i have tried alot of different things...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter hits, I grab her hand and tell her we don't use our hands to hurt, we use our hands for nice things and show her by rubbing her hand on my arm or patting my back while she's hugging me or doing the actions to a song. You could try that, tell him mouths are for nice things, like food and singing and kisses and making silly faces. But if he does it twice, then comes the time-out or spanking or whatever. Hope that helps. :)
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 2:03 AM on May. 8, 2010

• immediate time out, just sit him down say no biting it hurts mommy..ouch mommy, leave for a minute come back reiterate the lesson, it may take like 5 times in a row of doing this (my little guy likes to bite me when i pick him up out of time out) but it does work and will reduce the number of incidences. just be consistant, and only use timeout for the "serious offences" like biting and hiting
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:40 AM on May. 8, 2010