Moms who DONT Vaccinate. I have a ?

How did you come to the conclusion to NOT vaccinate.
Do you skip ALL of them or do you pick & choose which to exclude.
Of all of the Vaccinations given which do you think is the MOST controversal to give.

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 11:29 PM on May. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I vaccinate but I am thinking about not giving my son the MMR and the chicken pox vaccine. We are also doing a delayed vaccine schedule recommended by Dr. Sears. Instead of my son recieving all his vaccines by the time he is 1, he will continue to get them at a slower and more spread out rate, until he is 3 1/2. I also am only giving him the bare minimum of vaccines required for school entry...excluding the MMR and chicken pox I am thinking about getting an exemption for.
    The reason I don't want him getting the MMR and chicken pox, is that the chicken pox is HARDLY serious. Everyone I knew growing up had the chicken pox and no one was ever admitted to the hospital or anything like that. I don't see the point in vaccinated a child against a disease that is pretty much harmless.
    And as for the MMR...I have heard too many horror stories about it. It is also a live vaccine which I don't like cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:01 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Why would I put a harmful chemical in my child's body? If he gets the illness his body will fight it off and he'll be just as good as if he'd gotten the vaccine.

I know MMR is more dangerous than some others.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:37 PM on May. 7, 2010

• and a lot of the vaccine/autism controversy is surrounded around the MMR vaccine. While I'm not saying I believe vaccines trigger Autism, since there is currently no proof or no explanation of what DOES cause Autism, vaccines are still on the table for me. Until they find the reason for Autism, you can't rule out anything. Vaccines are still a possibility IMO.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:03 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Vaccination is a personal and public safety precaution. Harmful chemicals? You realize the hairspray, makeup, and food you eat all have chemicals? Vaccines have proven to be safe by the fact that so many debilitating illnesses have been significantly reduced. Mumps, measels, and rubella used to KILL children. Polio used to cripple the ones that survived. Ask I

Your failure to vaccinate creates a public health risk to those who cannot be vaccinated-- they don't have the choice. The old and the very young cannot be vaccinated, and your SELFISH choice is putting them in harm's way. The argument against is not that it doesn't work-- clearly it does. It's that pharmaceutical companies make money or it's because the risk of catching the disease is so low. Tell that to the baby that can't breathe from whooping cough!!

I think every parent who doesn't vaccinate should watch a video on the effects of the disease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I selectively vaccinate-- The ones I choose NOT to give my kids are because either I think natural immunity is a much better choice-- that means getting the disease
    OR they dont need it b/c the vax is for an STD and my kids are 3 and 5 why would they need a vaccine for an STD?

I dont need to watch the video I'm fully aware of the risk benefit--I'm a practicing Rn-in an Er where I see it everyday and with a dual degree in nursing and biology -- 17 of 37 drs I work with do not fully vaccinate-- but we are all glad you are letting your child be our guinea pigs Thanks.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:59 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Outdated, unnecessary and too dangerous! I'd rather deal with my child getting a virus that is treatable and cureable than her getting a neurological disease that is neither treatable nor cureable and will be with her for the rest of her life. I wish I could go back and not get any of my kids vaccinated. The MMR and Chicken Pox are definitely the most controversial and include the worst ingredients!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:00 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I don't eat food with chemicals nor do I use hair spray. I'm sorry that the drug companies have roped you in anon.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:08 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I have done years of research. Among the things I have researched and taken into account several different aspects... the disease, the purpose and function of the immune system, natrual selection, the ingrediants,... I have a hardive full of research, so I did not come to this desicion lightly.

we have not give our children any vaccinations, If I had to give my kids vaccinations but could opt out of only one it would be DTAP. Mostly for the pertussis vaccine element. Most reasearch indicates that it is the one that carries the highest risk of reaction.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:54 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I did a ton of research. I spent YEARS coming to this decision, which is why my first two are partially vaccinated. I took into account many different things. The ingredients, how the immune system reacts to them, etc. I also researched the diseases, what they can do, what the chances of death are, what the chances of complications are, how to detect them early to get treatment as quickly as possible, etc. The first conclusion I came to was that they are giving too many at once, and too young. So I was going to put together an alternative schedule. So what to start with, and WHEN. So MORE research. And I came to the conclusion that there are NONE currently that I want to give before teenagerhood. At which point, I will leave the decision up to my children. I just could not find one that I believed the risks of the vaccine were less than the risks of the disease (at least for children).
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:46 AM on May. 8, 2010

• For the other two questions
    When I was still in the early bits of my research, I refused the Hep B, the chicken pox, and the flu, but did the others.
    The worst one, IMO? Hep B at birth (not so insane in adolescence). The blood/brain barrier is not completely developed yet, and you're introducing neurotoxins into the baby's system. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:53 AM on May. 8, 2010