what other choice did I have....

we just moved to a new part of town...my friend lives down the street...so in the mornings I like to walk to her house... the first day i walked down there... I noticed there is this huge dog that barks and acts like he is trying to get to me ( and MY KIDS IN THE STROLLER) ...so the next day and everyday since I took a small ( kids) wooden baseball bat - just in case ( I would keep it in the bottom of the stroller)

well of course one day the dog did come up to us ( not sure if they forgot to tie him up or if he broke the chain ) ... but he came up to us barking ( and it was a growling bark, not just a regular kind)...so i grabbed the bat...but tried to keep walking and he came up to me (ran) and I hit himn with it.

He ran away and Ihurried to my friends house..about 20 mintues later me and my friend were walking back to my house and the owner was out and was like WHY DID YOU HIT MY DOG AND RUN ! ( she said she seen me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well she said that I needed to pay her for the vet ( which obviosuly she didnt even take him to it yet) ...and she was going to call the cops if I didnt.... I said " Yeah right lady... i was protecting myself and my kids...your lucky I am not calling animal control on you" and we walked away...but the woman kept yelling......

I didnt have any other choice..right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 8, 2010

• LOL...i would of too. i mean, my next door neighbor had a very mean dog too and all the kids had to run into thier houses when it got loose. i would of said "either it was my bat or the number to animal control" you were smart.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:11 AM on May. 8, 2010

• No. It's totally inappropriate to leave a vicious dog unrestrained in a yard. If a dog was acting aggressive and approaching me I would have done the same thing. Let her call the cops on you, they will just ticket her for dog at large and not restraining a vicious animal.

There is sometimes a mean doberman on our walk route. I think I'll get a bat lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:11 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Call the animal control so you do not have to defend your self that way again. You have the right to protect your child and your self. However don't start a war with a neighbor. Either they keep the dog locked up or they will be putting the dog down.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:12 AM on May. 8, 2010

• the lady was just angry. there's nothing the cops can do but take her dog away
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:12 AM on May. 8, 2010

• You were protecting your children and yourself but I don't know about having no other choice. It might be brought up that you knew there was a problem walking past that house when you bring up that the dog barked and growled enought that you felt unsafe. Then again if the dog is aggressive that could come back on her. So I don't know. I imagine it could go either way if she decides to call any authorities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Anon :12, knowing that a dog is vicious doesn't change anything. It was still at large and aggressive toward the OP. The cops aren't going to charge her for walking by unless she was antagonizing, which she wasn't. There is no law about avoiding vicious dogs, only about not allowing vicious dogs to attack people.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:15 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Was it just running around barking or was it trying to attack you? If it was just running around barking and it scared you and you reacted you were wrong. If it was coming at you, attacking you and you weren't in it's yard then you should protect yourself and your family anyway you could. But to me it sounds like you were scared and over reacted. You were already uneasy about the situation that's why you brought that bat and when you thought your fears were realized you over reacted.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 1:19 AM on May. 8, 2010

• i had that happen to me, my son was 18 mnths at the time and we were going for our afternnon walk and this dog came running out to the street where we here at barking and growling and lunging toward my son so i kicked in the ribs a couple of time, and i always wear steel toe boots... i was so freaked out that i turned around and went home, the owner called the cops on me, but he ended up gettin the ticket for having his dog running loose....

how are you suppose to know if that dog is friendly or not when its barking and growling and chasing you? and if she calls the cops they are gonna ask why the dog was loose.... and hittin it with a baseball bat shouldnt of done it any harm, unless you stood there bludgeoning it, which i seriously doubt being u had kids with you. the dog should of been tied up
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:20 AM on May. 8, 2010

• mrsjonzy - at first it was just walking around me barking and growling, but it wasnt actually coming at me until i tried to walk away and then it was running/lunging towards me... I was nervous that is why I had the bat in my hand at that time... but I really dont feel like i over reacted and that being the cause ....

and I didnt beat it - I hit it once... on what would basically be its shoulder ....it "yelped" and ran away....and i was not in the yard i was in the road !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 8, 2010