How do I help her get over her fear of going poop?

My almost 2 year old started potty training last week and was doing great after 2-3 days. When it comes to poop though, after a few days of successful pooping on the potty she became reluctant to do a poop at all, even though she talks about it a lot and seems to want to. She gets a lot of fiber and fluid, but she is holding them in and they get hard because of that and then are painful. Now she does not want to go at all (potty or diaper) and I had to give her a children's suppository 2 days in a row just to keep her from totally getting blocked up. She cried both times while pooping. I started a stool softener today but it is breaking my heart. Some comments I found on google were of kids who were afraid to poop for MONTHS. What can I do to keep her from being so afraid to go- at this point I wouldn't care if she pooped on the floor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Definately give her lots of fluids and foods to help ease constipation (no bananas, rice, apples, toast) and read to her during potty time, to help her get her mind off of the fear. You could even get books from the library and hide them until that time, so they'd be fresh and new to have read to her.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:18 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I agree, get her mind off it and let her know how excited and proud you are of her when the poop comes out. Maybe even show her your own poop in the toilet if that doesn't gross you out too much. It's a common enough problem. Keeping lots of fiber in there and lots of fluids is key. Dried apricots (cut up so they aren't a choking hazard) makes my girls go like clockwork.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:33 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Maybe get her a potty chart and give her stars and such when she goes to the potty and maybe a new coloring book or something. An incentive may help in the beginning. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:20 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Are you sure she isn't having pain while going? It's common for babies and young kids to get anal fissures, which can be very painful and may explain why she's crying while pooping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 8, 2010