a question for Pagans/Wiccans

How much research did you do and what books/ websites did you use before you felt comfortable calling yourself Wiccan/ Pagan? What did you do to figure out which path to follow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did quite a bit of research, got on a pagan group here, talked to a lot of other pagan women and read Wicca: A Year and a Day, The Wiccan Bible and another book... black with a tree on it and in white letters it says "WICCA: [can't remember the subtitle]"

After all that I called myself Wiccan for about 3 months and then realized that I didn't even want that much dogma lol. I now call myself eclectic pagan. It took about a month to get used to calling myself that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:43 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I'm not either really but have resently became a Christo witch. I found any thing and every thing I could and ask questions when I need to. I looked into it for a friend and it spoke to me and held beliefs I always have and couldn't find in other faiths. If it's true for you and you truly beleive it and it's in your heart you'll know it's right. Find all the info you can any info is good info. You want to look at both good and bad aspect or speculations when searching. I have an open question with tons of sites I will post it here for you tomorrow.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:50 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I studied for at least a year before I felt even slightly comfrotable with that title.... not because I thought it was bad, but because I wanted to be honest about it, to know .......
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:09 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I didn't do any research or any of that before feeling comfortable calling myself Pagan. It was just something inside that I knew felt right. By pure chance I'd run across a pagan chat room on paltalk that also had a yahoo group that was like finding a family I never knew I had. I hadn't really been raised to be strict anything, and had been doing a lot of reading into Buddhism for some months, but that never really felt right.

I did chat with a few of the people there, am still friends with a few...actually married one. lol But hearing their thoughts and views was like opening a door in your house that you've never seen -- even though you'd lived there for years. Does that make any sense? It was like it was there all along, I just never knew what to call it. I am much more at peace with myself though.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:57 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I've been using the title "Witch" since I was 6. It was something that came naturally. Once I was a teen and started doing more and more reading on the religions which surrounded my beliefs I took the name Pagan as well. My BELIEFS have always been Pagan, I just wasn't able to openly practice for many years. Once I knew where my beliefs actually fell, I took the title happily, and once I was able to begin to practice openly I did so.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 AM on May. 8, 2010

• For me, it was more of a calling. Yes, I did read many books and talk to different people on the path, but I was drawn to it more than I "decided" to be Pagan. Various people in my family have been Pagan for centuries; some dating back to the early 1800's.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:32 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I actually had Pagan and Wiccan online friends who gave me books to read when I asked to learn more. So I read things by Scott Cunningham, Patricia Telesco, and a couple other authors. I read various things about Wicca itself, Witchcraft, and other bits and pieces of it all.

When I started reading it made sense to me and seemed to answer questions Id always had but had put on the backburner of my mind figuring someday(like after death)God would give me the answers. But after reading, I realized he(and she)did give me the answers I just had to be open enough to see and accept them. I gained a strength and peace and a joy that Id never had before.

I want to be clear that I had known peace and joy before but not to this size/scale. This was all consuming and really connected deep within me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:11 PM on May. 8, 2010