Really worried about group B strep!

Okay, so I've had bacterial vaginosis pretty much this ENTIRE pregnancy. I've seen doctor after doctor and they all just pretty much shrugged if off and said that some women just get it and keep it until after delivery and hormones return to normal. So I calmed down and all was well...but now I've found out that I also tested positive to GBS. Are my Bv symptoms related? Does that mean I may have had GBS this entire time? I've read all the horror stories on stillbirth and death during labor and infections and it's REALLY freaking me out. What are the chances he's been infected in utero? Does that happen often? Are the GBS and BV possibly the same thing, as in, could the GBS have been causing my symptoms the entire time??? I'm 37 weeks and freaking out!!! Yet, nobody seems worried but me. My caregiver didn't really seemed concerned in the least. What can't I calm down???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You just need to have antibiotics during labor.. and you'll be fine. It's like 50% have strep B and 50% don't .. it's no big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on May. 8, 2010

• PP is right, GBS really is no big deal. They give you IV antibiotics as soon as you are admitted and baby doesnt get it. The antibiotics burn alot but thats all. They give you cold or warm washcloths to help but its over pretty quickly. I think the bag they gave me lasted maybe 20 minutes and i was done. I've never heard of the two being related however. Just stop stressing, its bad for you and the baby. GBS is only passed if the mother doesnt have antibiotics during delivery, it doesnt affect your baby in utero. Just calm down and breath hon. I've been through two pregnancies, one vaginal, one c-sec and only had GBS with my second child, she did not get it.
    mysteriousdaze

Answer by mysteriousdaze at 5:38 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Not a big deal mom. They are going to give you antibiotics during labor. I have group b strep. You'll be fine!

Breathe.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 6:31 AM on May. 8, 2010

• You'll be okay! Its normal to have that and also it is normal to freak out about it a little. You'll do great! What are you having and what names did you pick!?!? Just think about all the great things you'll do with your beautiful baby :)

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 7:38 AM on May. 8, 2010

• up to 40% of women are colonized with GBS at any given time. it hardly ever causes problems in women. there is like a 1 in 1000 chance that your baby will get sick from GBS. it is very rare that your baby will die. there are things you can do to reduce the chances your baby will get a GBS infection. 1 is to decline vaginal exams/cervical checks. a really common one is to get antibiotics during labor, but then there are the risks that come along with exposing a baby to antibiotics. another one is chlorahexadine rinse during labor. no matter what you do, even if nothing, your baby is unlikely to have any problems.

i ahve never heard of BV being related to GBS

i was GBS positive with my first, and i had IV antibiotics and never had any problems, my son was 100% healthy.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 8, 2010

• http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/group-b-strep-information.html

* 15-40% of women are suspected to be colonized.
    * 98-99% of babies born to colonized women will not become infected.
    * Of those infected with early onset, 15% will die.
    * Of those infected with late onset, 50% did not contract it from their mother but rather from other sources such as hospital personnel.

Taking "worse case scenario" (ie. assuming 40% of women are colonized, and 2% of those babies will become infected)--if we did not screen, did not give antibiotics, did nothing at all...
    * .0225% (1 in 4444) babies would die of early onset GBS
    Anonymous

• i was group b strep positive. like the other postrs said. antibiotics during delivry. don't read bad things. i did this alot in the first trimester. it makes you go crazy. you will be fine and so will the baby.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:24 AM on May. 8, 2010

• i had gbs and didnt have time for meds at labor, and my son did not get sick its not that big of a deal. and i have a friend that was negative gbs, but her baby got it at birth, the baby had a blood infection but was fine in about 8 days and went home!
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 9:25 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I had it with 2 out of my 4 pregnancies, and I (and the baby) were just fine!! Just had to deal with the stupid IV during labor :(
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:00 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I had it. DD is perfectly fine!=] You'll be fine like everyone else said, IV antibiotics during labor. The only thing that scared me about it is my doctor told me to come in as soon as I realized I was in labor or if my water breaks even without contractions so that they can start the IV and have ample time for it to work. I only had 9 hours but everything went great!
    Good luck & don't stress it mama!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:29 PM on May. 8, 2010