This is an honest question?

Why is it okay for everyone else to love their country, except for Americans. I don't get it. What is wrong with American Pride? If one is German are you not proud of your German heritage, or Canadian or Mexican, or where ever you may be from. Am I wrong in thinking that you would be proud of your country?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I’m not sure I understand your question I think that people here are very proud of their heritage. However, people always see things that need improving and that should not be mistaken for lack of pride. If you read the speeches of the colonial peoples you would hear much about things that need improving but these men and women were very proud.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 6:17 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Also I am pretty well traveled and I can tell you that it is the same everywhere people always complain about this and that. And frankly we are big time complainers generally but that is how things get done. Look at how far we have come in such a short time! I just came back from Belgium a beautiful progressive country very wealth and politically fair. However, the women don't make as much as the men!! I was outraged because I am an American and I rant, vent and write angry letters and I believe that is a part of our Greatness.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 6:19 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Because we are seen as the big bully pushing our views on the world. So when you show pride in being American (in those who really don't matters eyes) it is you pushing your views on them and how dare you! It's pretty pathetic. There are those who think we are the greatest country and yes we need some work but our foundation is the bees knees and we are a great nation! A great nation who comes to the worlds rescue! BUT there are also those who think we have a big head (these people LIVE here too) and we should humble ourselves to the world around us... because we are the bad guys. So it is a battle between those who think this is the place to be vs those who think we should bend backwards to not hurt everyone's feelings!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:54 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Maybe she is referring to the kids who wore American Flag shirts to school on "cinco de mayo" and were asked to leave.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:43 AM on May. 8, 2010

• There is a difference in being proud of your heritage/country and being a pushy arrogant teenage asshole. I'm sure that wearing their flag shirts on Cinco De Mayo was not the only thing that they did. We are talking teenagers here and they never know when enough is enough.

As for Cinco De Mayo....its celebrated more in the US than it is anywhere else and the celebration in the US was drummed up by the BEER companies to help sell more beer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I do not have pride in this country RIGHT NOW!!! At one time or another my mother was not proud of me. Honestly when she started working at a new job when I was a teen and being a rebel nobody even knew she had a DD because she didn't talk about me at all. Just because i do not have pride right now does not mean I never will!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:32 AM on May. 8, 2010

• There is a difference in being proud of your heritage/country and being a pushy arrogant teenage asshole. I'm sure that wearing their flag shirts on Cinco De Mayo was not the only thing that they did. We are talking teenagers here and they never know when enough is enough. .

ITA- The Principal should have never made it about the clothing. He should have focused on the defiance issue, THAT's the problem. During the school da,y those kids are on the campus to learn and the authorities (adults) run the show. Had I been the Principal, those kids would have been brought to the office and told that since those shirts, bandannas, shorts and shoes where near and dear, they would be expected to be worn everyday for the remainder of the school year. I would have also notified the parents of the consequences for open defiance. Love the flag, show your Patriotism, every day for the rest of the term! Think next time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:08 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Obviously not the proper way either sister..you can't choose their day to day attire unless it is a private school or they are wearing somthing vulgar or too revealing.So if they were your children sure but not someone elses.

OP it's like Crissy said...I am one of those that even if some things are not going the way I hope I still take pride and love my country.I do not care what anyone else thinks of it either.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:37 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Slightly OT here -- so because those students had no interest whatsoever in promoting a Mexican demi-holiday that Mexico doesn't even celebrate to a great degree, they should have still decked themselves out in sombreros and whatever to show their pride in Mexico???? Is that what you mean by the defiance issue? My dd just had "70's day" at her school. We really didn't have stuff for her to wear, so she wore her normal clothes ie. scrubs. Was that defiance? That is what she normally wears, and those kind of shirts is what those boys wear on a normal basis. They may not wear the same shirt day in & day out, but it is normal for them to wear them. Just because a school says TOMORROW IS (whatever) DAY, that does not equate a mandate to wear clothing to fit that theme. I think this is just some people who are offended that some American students are no buying into the idea that we have to support every single other people.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:39 AM on May. 8, 2010

• 29 this would not have even been a problem at my kids school.They do have certain days set up for certain holidays and the children can either be involved with it or not.Then again kids here wouldn't be all offended by such and making it some big issue...kids here take pride and love this country so..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:50 AM on May. 8, 2010