Do you keep your kids' hair when it gets cut?

We went to visit my SIL (she lives 8 hours away) and commented on how her DD's hair looks a lot shorter. She said, "yeah, we cut it!" and pulled a long, thick ponytail from a shelf in her living room. It was one of the weirdest moments I've experienced in a long time.

My kids have never had a hair cut. Do most people keep the hair like that?? Do you?

lovemymarine306

Asked by lovemymarine306 at 4:04 AM on May. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Eww... no. I mean yes a single lock of hair from their first haircut is in the scrapbook but not a huge ponytail and not everytime.
    MrsKline

Answer by MrsKline at 6:14 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I'm with MrsKline. I have a strand from each of my boys from thier very first haircut.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 6:22 AM on May. 8, 2010

• NOOOOOO. I do not.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:02 AM on May. 8, 2010

• i kept a lock of hair from his first hair cut..and thats it. I know some people are a little silly. My ex's sister kept every tooth her child lost..i have no clue why???? I could understand maybe keeping the first one, but why every tooth..and all of her teeth were cavity infested too..i always thought, nobody wants to see that,, YUCK!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:36 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I have a small lock of hair from my daughters first hair cut, but no, beyond that any hair i cut off her head goes straight into the trash.

Is it maybe possible their donating the ponytail to locks of love and that's why she still had it?
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 9:41 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I kept a tiny bit of hair from her first haircut thats it, just something to put in her book for when she gets older!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:36 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Sometimes people keep long ponytails they or their kids have had cut. I've heard of it before. It's not something I would do but I don't think it's that unusual.
    Anonymous

• My mother kept my little brother's hair from his first hair cut. He's almost 17 now, and she still has it. I think it's kind of weird, yeah...but I guess to each their own, right? Hey...I might do that for my daughter...she has blonde hair...I have brown hair.....BUT, when I was a child, I had blonde hair....so I'm sure hers will turn eventually....mine didn't till I was 6ish. So...maybe I'll keep her hair to show it to her when she gets older and has brown hair. Who knows.
    Anonymous

• I've got a lock from my son's first hair cut and my daughter hasn't gotten her first hair cut yet.

The only reason I can think of having a big pony tail of cut hair is if you're about to send it to Locks of Love, because some salons won't handle the donation stuff.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 1:53 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I have a lock of each one from their first cut and only that much...in a baby book not on a shelf...and no I don't take pictures of people in their coffins either.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:20 PM on May. 10, 2010