Can you go without a car in the winter in Syracuse NY?

My DH and 2 year old son are moving to Syracuse for a better job. I am a native Arizonan, for those of you how are not failure we are a desert climate. The winters here very rarely drop below freezing and not far below! On the other hand we have an extremely hot climate were the temp goes from 115 -120 form Jul-Sep even Halloween night is usually very warm here. So I have NO idea about winters or how or what to do. I saw snow only once on a mountain from far away. I have been hailed on a few times lol but that’s it. So I need to know what to do!

Okay so this is two parts, I want to know if we can make it without a car there. We have a car now but want to sell it. We both have gone many times in the past without a car because we are pretty green and would rather burn fat not fuel! Okay, so we have survived very hot summers without a car now I want to know if we can winters too!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 6:05 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No everything is so spread out in that area you need a car .The local bus service is not dependable.

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 6:08 AM on May. 8, 2010

• OP:

Please if you are going to comment on the bike/walk part please note this is not would you want to but rather can you. Also, ladies please tell me what to do to survive happy and healthy this winter season.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 6:05 AM on May. 8, 2010

• It is a college town; I would think that a car would be unnecessary.

Come to Chicago; you don't need a car here!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 AM on May. 8, 2010

• definatly not. especially not with a child. its FREEZING. i like about 4-5 hours downstate from syracuse, closer to NYC and during the winter it gets below zero quite often. this passed winter we had a major blizzard. and thats here, syracuse is right by canada. its even worse there. you will def need a car, especially with a child. its way too cold out and when it snows really bad and theres blizzards, the buses stop running & so do taxi's. syracuse is like farm land also. everything is very spread out.
    you have no idea what your in for ... lol. you better be ready with gloves and hats and winter jackets. have you ever been so cold your skin turns red and you cant move your fingers?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:32 AM on May. 8, 2010