Why is Arizona University kicking out 300 students?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't like illegals in our country but what AZ is doing right now is discrimination! Do you carry around proof of citizenship (birth certificate not just your license), or your SS card all the time? I don't! But this doesn't NOT make me a US citizen.
    When I returned from visiting Mexico about 8 yrs ago, Border Patrol asked if I was a US citizen, I said yes and went through. I did not have to show ID, or prove my citizenship then, and shouldn't have to now here in the US!
    If the AZ police pulled over a car for breaking the law and there are ten people in it and they don't have documentation of any kind, fine. Detain them! But going to Walmart for a money gram and requiring ID is illegal.
    Because of my married name people often assume I am Mexican or speak Spanish. Actually, I am very white, blonde, blue eyed, and my husband's backround is Spanish (Spain) not Mexican!
    2ndfiddle

Answer by 2ndfiddle at 9:49 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I live in AZ and I have no clue what you are talking about. What university are you talking about? Northern Arizona, Arizona State University, Or University of Arizona?

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 8:25 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Chamorro students fear discrimination in Arizona
    Wednesday, May 05 2010 00:00 By Gemma Q. Casas - Reporter

A STUDENT leader from the CNMI fears Chamorro and other Pacific students living in Arizona may be subjected to discrimination and racial profiling even before the state could implement its new immigration law that allows authorities to randomly question “suspicious looking” individuals.

Segundo Castro, the president of the Saipan-Tinian Student Association, and a student of San Joaquin Delta College in Stockton, California, said he and other students personally experienced this situation when they went to Money Gram at Walmart’s store in Flagstaff, Arizona.

cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on May. 8, 2010

• cont...

“We were at Walmart in Flagstaff to pick up a money wire transfer at Money Gram from one of our members.  We were told that due to the new law in Arizona, we had to show proof that we were United States citizens, provide our occupation, and our Social Security,” Castro wrote to CNMI Congressman Gregorio Kilili Camacho Sablan.

 “According to the clerk, the border is nearby and anyone who looks Hispanic has to show proof that  they are legally in the state of Arizona in accordance with the state law.  We were asked to provide extra information due to our skin color skin and as required by the state law,” Castro added.

The incident happened last April 28.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on May. 8, 2010

• cont...

Castro said what bothered him is that authorities and other establishments in Arizona are now requiring documentation from certain people of color even though the state’s new immigration law isn’t supposed to take effect until July.

He said many Pacific students who are planning to move to Arizona to pursue their higher education are now “having second thoughts.”

“Many of our members from the CNMI are planning to transfer to the colleges & universities in Phoenix (Rio Salado, Argosy, North Central, etc.) for their associate of art, bachelor, master, and internship (doctorate program),” he said.

Sablan said he is opposed to the new Arizona immigration law.
    Anonymous

• cont...

“I want you to know that I oppose the new Arizona immigration law.  I believe it can lead to discrimination based in part on race, color, or national origin. In this I stand with Congressman Raúl Grijalva of Arizona, and fellow members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, who are outspoken in their criticism of the law,” he said.

He advised off-island CNMI students that only law enforcement authorities are empowered to ask people for documentation not business establishments.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on May. 8, 2010

• cont...

“It is important that you and the members of your organization living in or travelling through Arizona understand the new law’s provisions.  It becomes effective in July 2010.  Once in effect, the law will allow Arizona state and local law enforcement to request individuals to provide proof of immigration status under specific circumstances. The law does not allow for businesses to request proof of status before providing services,” he said.
    Anonymous

• In the wake of the first lawsuits filed against the Arizona immigration law, the University of Arizona’s President Robert E. Shelton released a letter Thursday describing the effects the law has already had on the school’s admissions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 8, 2010

• "We have already begun to feel an impact from SB1070. The families of a number of out-of-state students (to date all of them honors students) have told us that they are changing their plans and will be sending their children to universities in other states. This should sadden anyone who cares about attracting the best and brightest students to Arizona.

Additionally, large numbers of UA students, faculty, staff and appointed professionals have expressed concerns that they or members of their families or their friends may now be subject to unwarranted detainment by police. Many of these individuals are from families that have been residents of Arizona for generations. While I am completely confident that no one need fear the way that UAPD will approach the application of this law, I nevertheless appreciate the anxiety that friends and colleagues are feeling. It is a concern and fear that no one should have to harbor".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 8, 2010

• College students have been particularly vocal. A story on CNN.com today describes the mood on the University of Arizona’s Tucson campus. One student there, Francisco Baires, has been circulating a petition summing up students’ concerns with the new law. He and others plan to present that petition to the school’s president next week, and will ask him to sign it himself. Another student, Jessica Mejia, organized Immigration Awareness Week on the campus, which included a series of programs and informational sessions on the intricacies of the law and acted as a place where students could share their personal immigration stories.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on May. 8, 2010