potty training question

My daughter is 18 months old, she is still in pampers, but i have showen her the potty and showed her how to use it and stuff, latly she comes to me patting her little bum and saying pot, so i take her pamper off and sit her on the potty but she dont do anything and the second that she gets up off the potty she pees on the floor...is this normal? How do i get her to pee in the potty?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 9:26 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes this is quite normal, my daughter did the same thing! Thats really good that she is to the point where she tells you she has to go so your making progress. Just don't push the issue. Make the potty available to her and remind her to sit on it every now and then and it will all fall into place eventually.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:01 AM on May. 8, 2010

• sounds like she isn't ready...don't push...every few weeks bring it back out and try again. Use lots of praise...rewards....she'll do it when she is ready. Good luck momma
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 8, 2010

• She's asking to use the potty. To me, that's a much better sign that she's ready to start then a lot of signs people get... Just because she wants to use the potty doesn't mean that she understands how it works, or just because she understands how it works doesn't mean she gets exactly how to release her bladder while sitting on the potty, or just because she gets how to do that doesn't mean she won't feel a little hesitant to do it... it's a new sensation! I think some parents are so afraid of "pushing" that they don't help their child adequately who wants to learn the potty. What I would do is try a little bit of time playing with no pants on, or just underwear on, either in the bathroom or nearby (or in another room with the potty chair nearby) and let her sit if she wants, however long she wants, and then if she gets off and starts to pee, move her there. Make a big deal if she finishes on the potty. (cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:40 PM on May. 8, 2010

• (cont'd) Tell her gently that pee goes in the potty. She'll start to make the association and she'll see how happy you are to see pee landing in the potty. Shortly after mealtime is a great time to do this, because you're likely to get a hit. And again, take the focus away from sitting waiting for something to happen, and instead focus on watching her so you can help her make it to the potty, even if a little gets on the floor first. You do have to be prepared to clean up accidents, and you can't get upset with her for those, but be matter-of-fact about it: "Oops, we don't like pee pee in our legs, it goes in the potty!" My girls trained at 19 and 17 months like that.
    (by the way, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't willing to help your child -- you are, which is why you're asking this question. I was more responding to the very popular suggestion that any lack of success in the beginning means your child isn't ready).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:45 PM on May. 8, 2010

• To me it's okay, she's trying, lol.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:14 AM on May. 9, 2010