Will my hearing ever return?!?!?!

So a week ago I went into the ER and was diagnosed with a ruptured ear drum in my right ear. I am on antibiotics, the pain is mostly gone however it still seems like I am on a plane and the ear needs to "pop" if you know what I mean.... It's hard to hear and it is really annoying because I am constantly saying "what" . So how long does it take to return to normal again?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 9:36 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Health

• Oh thats awful maybee after the meds. take the full coarse? My 4 yr old had such a bad ear ache for a while & whe she ent to see the doc he said she can't hear out of her right ear, but it will comeback after a week or so.Good luck~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Once the fluid behind the eardrum reabsorbs...it can take weeks after the infection has cleared and you finish your meds. You should be able to hear "normally" again, much better than now, but maybe not 100% back to what you had. The eardrum will have a scar on it and that will change the functioning...which you may not notice at all. (but then again, you might, a little!)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:38 AM on May. 8, 2010

• when my son had a burst eardrum, our instructions were to keep it dry for 2 months. i also read that permanent hearing damage is quite rare. but i was also looking at pediatric sites. did you ask your dr.?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:05 PM on May. 8, 2010