Working / breastfeeding moms!!

how do you do it?? I am just returning to work a few hours at a time and am having a hard time with my breast getting sore. I pump right befor work and try to 3-4 hours later but I still hurt. How do you do it and do you get uncomfortable after a few hours??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Luckily I worked at a pretty relaxed office, full of moms who had gone through the same thing. So I was able to pump at work if it got too painful and uncomfortable, and I would keep it in the fridge in the break room until I left for lunch that day. I know not every place will let you do this though.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:57 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I pumped three times a day at work (I worked full time, breastfed for 23 months). Check with your state's department of labor on what the pumping rules are in your stated.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I pumped at the same time that DD would nurse. My office was pretty flexible with my schedule.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:22 AM on May. 8, 2010

• How is the suction on the pump? If you have it up too high it can make your breasts very sore. You might try nursing instead of pumping before you leave, then pump every three hours MAX- four hours is a little long and will make you uncomfortable. I work thirty hours a week, pump every morning, even the days I don't work, and then pump every 2.5-3 hours after that. All places of employment are now required to give you properly spaced pumping breaks, and a location that is private and not a restroom, closet, etc. That was one of the minor parts of the healthcare reform bill, and was effective immediately. Check out http://www.usbreastfeeding.com/ for FAQ and a link to the text.  I've been pumping for over a year now, so it is very possible.  Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group- they can help with any issues with work/pumping.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:33 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I just do it. It will get easier. your milk supply will even out. Make sure that when you are pumping that you are completely emptying your breast. pump every 2-3 hours.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:35 PM on May. 8, 2010