What age did you start spanking?

If you spank, what age did you start spankings on the bottom? Does it do any good while they're still in diapers? My son just turned 3, and is still not potty trained. Please, no bashing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Whatever. This is always going to be an ongoing argument with the way people are these days. Someone is always going to disagree with someone else. All I was trying to say is there is a difference between spanking and beating. My parent's spanked me as a child when I did things that I knew I shouldn't be doing and I turned out fine and have an extremely close relationship with both of them to this very day. Maybe if I was not spanked (or if I was beaten) as a child my thinking would be different. But that is just the way I was raised. The other day I was cooking dinner and my daughter kept trying to grab the pot of boiling water off of the stove. I told her no, removed her from the kitchen, and she came back twice more doing the SAME thing. So what did I do? I popped her butt. That little pop on the butt is NOTHING compared to pulling a pot of boiling water off of the stove and getting 3rd degree burns. Case closed
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:33 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Do you really think that sending your child the message that hitting solves problems is a good idea? http://www.naomialdort.com/ is a great website for parents.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on May. 8, 2010

• No bashing here. I don't "spank" but I give a firm pop on the butt only once if my daughter is defying me repeatedly. Some would see this as spanking but I don't. After saying the word NO over and over again with no results, then I resort to something that will catch her attention. My daughter is 3 and I knows very well what the word no means. But I started the butt pop around 2 1/2.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:08 AM on May. 8, 2010

• @ The previous poster.. there isn't a web site in the world that I would get parenting advice from. Every child and every parent is different. There is a fine line between popping the butt and beating a child. When I did something wrong as a child I got my butt whooped, and NEVER thought twice about doing it again (whatever it was). Worked well on me as a child and I will continue this practice with my child if it is needed.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:11 AM on May. 8, 2010

• OMG please don't spank him for not using the potty. That is something that needs to be taught...hitting never teaches! Read about it look at your son and follow your heart. Inside you have to know its wrong!

Also most 3 year olds love Elmo there is a great Elmo movie called Elmo uses the potty my son was very inspired by that movie and we are getting there. Just hang in there its hard and cleaning up the mess can be so aggravating, but it is worth the effort and time to help him grow!

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 10:13 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I wasn't thinking about spanking for potty training, just wondering if spankings worked while they were still in diapers or if the padding made it ineffective!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I don't think she is saying that she spanks him for not using the potty, I just think that she was referencing that he is still in diapers, so popping the butt may not do any good since they cant feel it that well.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:17 AM on May. 8, 2010

• this isnt bashing, this is my thinking...
    1. we tell our kidsnot to hit people smaller than them, but then hit them(and yeah spanking is hitting by definition).
    2. If I walked up to you on the street and smacked you for doing something I didnt like or approve of, you could have me arrested. but we hit our kids.
    3. being spanked or hit in anyway hurts and send a message that its ok to use your hands to solve problems.
    again, not bashing, just food for thought.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:17 AM on May. 8, 2010

• oh and as a pp said, if you are actually asking should you spank him for not being potty trained, thats abuse.kids develope differently and spanking him isnt going to teach him anything but to be afraid of mommy.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:18 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Please get this book and read it. Magic 1,2,3 by Thomas Phalan IT WAS WONDERFUL I got it when my DD was 20 months old and really in terrible tantrums-- It works she is now almost 6 and she is AMAZING my ds is younger and a different personality btook more time with him but it works with him too
    many schools, daycares use it and it is STRONGLY recommended by the AAP-

I spanked my dd 3x prior to the book and everytime I did I knew in my gut "this is wrong" the book showed me how to be in control without loosing control it also helped me to understand why we do what we do (adults and children)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:19 AM on May. 8, 2010