For moms who spank only, what age did you start?

I'm asking this question again because I didn't ask it right the first time. Please only respond to my question if you believe in spanking. I'm not interested in a debate, just advice from moms who have the same belief's that I do and that believe spankings work.

If you spank, what age did you start spankings on the bottom? Does it do any good while they're still in diapers? My son just turned 3, and is still not potty trained, so he's still in PullUps. I'm not thinking about spanking for potty training, just other serious stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not sure if you saw my answer on your other question so here it is.
    Yes they do work if they are still in diapers, because I pop his hand or the back of his thigh, the point of it isn't to really hurt him though. Just to get his attention and let them no what they are doing has a negative effect. My thing is i only do it now because i don't feel he is old enough to understand time out. When time out is over I cant sit down and talk to him about what he did, why it is wrong ect. Once he is about three I will start doing time outs and stop the "spankings" unless it is something I think is very serious and a time out does nothing in that situation.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:36 AM on May. 8, 2010

• i only spank my son if i have to like if its something reasonable i let him know im upset and i talk to him about it my son is 31/2 so hes able to talk to me
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 10:36 AM on May. 8, 2010

• you can ask this in as many ways as you want, you are going to gewt the opinions from everyone-not just those who agree with you.
    why would you want your child afraid of you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I'm sure I started before three. Maybe around two but in the beginning it was just like a flick on their hand if they were touching something they shouldn't. And then around 3 or 4 it was just spanking for really bad stuff and sending her to her room for a time out for other things. By the time she was 6 just the threat of a span would stop her. And by 8 we mostly just take away tv or video game time. I honestly can't remember the last time she even needed a spanking.

Anonymous

• My son is 11 months, I will slap his hand if I keep telling him no over and over and he still continues... I don't hit him hard enough to hurt him just get his attention. My parents used this method on me and I was never scared of them. I just knew when they said no they meant NO... As long as your not beating your child I see no problem with it... GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:54 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Around a year when they started to understand No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I started between 2 and 3.

And my child is afraid of me? Please.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:13 AM on May. 8, 2010

• my son is 2 and he gets spanked for serious stuff only when its minor stuff he gets a time out. and anon 10:38 the child doesnt become scared of u they learn whats right and wrong i guess not everyone believes in discipline that is the problem with everything goin on today the way it is.
    hotmami2ajae

Answer by hotmami2ajae at 11:28 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Spanking is bullying. It's simple. You are hitting a child. Violence leads to more violence. You may teach your child what you want to at the moment but you are also teaching them that hitting to okay if you need to get a point across.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 11:49 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Spanking isn't about fear. It is about breaking a child's overinflated ego. They think they know everything and are in charge and you have to stop that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 8, 2010