My daughter acts like I starve her

I feed my daughter well over the toddler portions. Sometimes she won't eat it all and say all done. Then they next thing I know she's in the kitchen stealing food. I had to put a child lock on the fridge and now she's found a way to climb the cabniets and get the upper ones to take things out. I'm always catching her with boxes of cereal or her brothers baby snacks. She'll go hide and eat. Why is she doing this? She gets 3 full meals a day and a snack. I can't put a ababy gate in the kitchen entertrance because its a very large opening and that gate doesn't reach. Anyone else going through this or know why my LO will do this? (she's 2 1/2)

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:25 AM on May. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol I am so in your boat. We have gone through 3 child locks for the fridge. 2 of them were broken (by her) and 1 of them she figured out, and worked it just as well as DH and I do. Now we also have child locks on ALL the kitchen cabinets that contain food. It's funny when you try and feed them a meal they refuse it, but want to "snack" on anything else all day long. I guess it's just the age. When my DD wants snacks inbetween meals I usually chop up some fresh fruit, or do crackers or dry cereal
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:53 AM on May. 8, 2010

• I would try to get everything she can get into somewhere that she can't.
    Then I would leave a big bowl of something like mixed nuts and raisins, or 100% pure dried fruits, or sesame sticks - right where she can get it all day long and tell her that she's welcome to snack whenever she feels like it.
    That way you know that she's getting enough food, but the only snacks that are available are healthy ones, and she doesn't need to hide it.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 11:31 AM on May. 8, 2010

• Give her more snacks. When she says she is hungry give her some fruit of veggies...My dd is like that. I will offer her fruit or veggies. Usually she just wants junk so I know if she refuses the fruit, she really is not hungry.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:34 AM on May. 8, 2010

• My little boy eats what we offer or he doesn't eat at all. IF he eats all of his meal he gets a snack... crackers, maybe a couple vanilla wafers. Kids will not starve and WILL overeat if you let them. Just be careful.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:19 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Some kids do have bigger appetites than others....I have seen this many times. Watch what happens when you put out a plate of cookies in front of a large group of kids. They will almost all run to get a cookie, but many of them will lose interest afer a bite or two and certainly not go back for another. But then you will see one or two of the kids who eat their whole cookie and look for more.....I don't know if it is biological or psychological, but I know it exists! I guess the only way to really address it is to have some healthy things she can choose to eat whenever she wants, or schedule healthy snacks throughout the day....with a child like this, it might be necessary to simply not have things you don't want her to eat available to her. As she gets older she can learn to manage her eating, of course. Some of these types of kids learn to be the most disciplined eaters of all. But for now she only knows what she wants!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:32 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Maybe 6 small meals throughout the day would help with her snacking. My DD is 13 months and a VERY picky eater. I use to do 3 meals a day and she wouldn't want to eat, but she would snack all the time. I broke it down into 6 small meals a day and she's been doing great.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 12:58 PM on May. 8, 2010

• if you put too much on a kid's plate they can become overwhelmed and just not eat at all. give a smaller portion at first, and see if that works. also make sure she gets the proper portion for snack or she might pig out on that and not be hungry at mealtime. good luck!
    also i leave things like fruit & carrot sticks at eye level, they go for those first cause that's what they see.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:26 AM on May. 9, 2010