How is this offensive?

My feather's have been a little ruffled over these boys and their American flag shirts,. I don't understand how them other kids felt "offended".

"Cinco De Mayo was originally a Mexican Holiday to celebrate Mexico’s victory in the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The words in English mean “5th of May” which is the day of the Victory of the Mexican Militia. This is a rather popular Holiday here in the US but is not as celebrated in Mexico. "

How in the heck is wearing an American flag shirt considered offensive or "rude" to anyone??

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:13 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They arent offensive. I watched the video of the kids messing with a wheelchair bound man, now that was offensive, but that wasnt made a big deal. I think it is great for mexicans to celebrate cinco de mayo. But also fine for the boys to wear american flag shirts. This is America. Have alittle respect, the flag is a symbol of our country, of our way of life, and how dare it be called offensive. I am a proud american and saddened by the lack of repect. Mexican americans should celebrate their hoidays, just as other cultural holidays should be by their members. But Americans should be allowed to wear patriotic shirts no questions asked. To ask someone to take off a shirt with an american flag on it is like asking someone to take a flag off their property. It is disrespectful. I love this country, and our flag, but people should be understanding of different cultures. We are a melting pot, that is one of the great things about us
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 8:27 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I think it's rude for them to celebrate it in the US.
    Anonymous

• Because Mexicans feel like this is THEIR country, and everything Mexican should be upheld... don't OFFEND the mexicans (or any other culture) BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!
    UGG! bugs me to death to. so ridiculous.
    By the way, I am by no means racist. I'm just saying in general, many are that way, especially in cali and other southern states
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:15 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I think you are all full of BS. To each his own. LET AND LET LIVE. OMG, really? You would expect to go to another country and have them all celebrate your crap, because, well, because YOU are there? Have some morals, dignity and respect.

I find the rebel flag offensive.... I am from the North. But, do I care who does what? No... get a life and stop doddling in other's lives.

Anonymous

• Were they wearing the American Flag specifically to make a statement against Mexican's? The Amercican Flag can not in itself be offensive, but the sentiment behind it CAN be offensive. Sort of like wearing gang colors, I guess.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:17 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Shaking my head in disbelief. Americans are so ignorant.
    Anonymous

• Lol, I don't understand the purpose of celebrating it in the US. What are WE celebrating?

OMG, i have to find this video but when the protest were going on there were signs up talking about " we want free health care and food and houseing and jobs" and that "America owed them"... wtf are u freakn kidding me!! do we really want people who think like this here??? if anything they owe America ( the country not the people) for getting the oppurtunity to have freedoms. They need to find their own jobs and pay their own bills and be proud that they can!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:20 PM on May. 8, 2010

• To the first anon---it is not "rude" for "them" to celebrate it in the US. "We" are the ones who celebrate it in the US....just go to any restaurant that wants to sell a Margarita or any brand of Mexican beer. Like most holidays in the US, WE have commercialized it. If there is a problem with immigration laws, address the laws not the immigrants.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:21 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Anybody can find ANYTHING offensive if they want to. I hate being so politically correct all the time. Sickening.
    Anonymous

• Anon: and so are you Anon.'s having the freedoms to say what you feel is great right?? How are we ignorant? I wasn't born in this country to cater to everyone elses (non citizens) needs.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:22 PM on May. 8, 2010