Why do people type in all caps?

I am not trying to be an asshole... I just really would like to know why... I see it all the time on here and always wonder WHY they do it. Anyone want to tell me? :D

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 1:39 PM on May. 8, 2010 in About CafeMom

• theyre yelling :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:43 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Well, I suppose it could be 3 different things.
    1. Their keyboard is broken.
    2. They think it will gain the immediate attention of people.
    Or
    3. They have no idea that typing in all caps is read as if they are shouting, it's hard to read, and it's very annoying.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:44 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Lol. It really does feel like I am being yelled at when I read it... I have wondered sometimes if peoples keyboards are messed up since sometimes my letters stick so it looks like I cannot spell! But then there are the notorious caps lockers and I always wonder WHY. The number 2 answer from lady is a good one.... didn't think of that!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:46 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Why is everyone so sensitive?? I type in all caps because it's easier to read. I thought Bigger was Better but I certainly won't do it anymore know that I know the truth! Evidently it's ok to be utterly profane and viciously rude, but yelling is out of the question, never mind that it's a type of personal expression. Consider me fully repentant as of now. I humbly apologize in every way to any mom I may have hurt. I'm off to soak my weary head in endless shame. From now on I'll make sure I don't do or say anything you might disapprove of because then you might have to do what the rest of us do when somebody does something we don't like. "Get over it". I do it all the time. With a little practice you could do the same. I'll be giving free lessons in "How to be a nice person" starting next week. Be sure to sign up early, some of you could really use the class!
    Anonymous

• Whoooa... I didn't see any replies that were mean. It was a question, I never understood the reasoning behind doing it, because to me it is a bit obnoxious to read.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:20 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I love to type in caps when I'm on my computer but on my cell I don't. But they say it looks like there yelling
    KRISTINA408

Answer by KRISTINA408 at 1:11 AM on May. 10, 2010

• Hi SweetPea05. I really think that most people don't realize CAPS is yelling. Social Media is still very new to a lot of people. Or perhaps they need to type in CAPS for one of the reasons listed above. On occasion I have told people that CAPS is yelling in social media etiquette. Sometimes the person corrected it. Other times they said they prefer writing in CAPS. But hey - at least I tried. :)

Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 4:21 PM on May. 13, 2010