She throws her food on the floor, then asks for a snack-what do I do??

Ok, here's the deal: my 22 month old sometimes throws her food on the floor. I tell her to pick it up (as a logical consequence). I also tell her that it's not ok to throw food on the floor-that it's naughty. Five minutes later, she asks for a snack!

How do I handle this situation? On the one hand, I don't want to deny her food, nor use food as a method of punishment. But, I don't want her to think that food is something to be wasted.

I'm really not certain what is the right thing to do. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on May. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't give her her entire meal. Save some on the side. When she throws it, obviously tell her that we don't throw food, and follow whatever concequnce you've been using. When she says she is hungry, give her the food you've set aside. Tell her no treats until she eats her meal. Worth a shot.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:40 PM on May. 8, 2010

• dont give her the snack, make her wait until the next meal time. tel her she cannot have a snack because she threw her meal on the floor.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:46 PM on May. 8, 2010

• If my daughter doesn't eat her dinner....she doesn't get a snack. It's as simple as that. My daughter is 2 1/2. I'll put her food away and give it to her for her next meal. But my kids will definitely not get a snack if they do not eat their meals. You're daughter will continue to walk all over you if you give in to her
    Anonymous

• You do NOT give it to her. She CHOSE the bad behavior, she chooses the consequence. Children will NOT starve if they are offered meals. You offer her the meal, if she doesn't eat it, she doesn't get anything until the next meal. This is what I do with my 3 year old son and have been doing for some time and it works. Sometimes eats what is served, sometimes he doesn't. If he doesn't, he gets NOTHING until the next meal.

Don't allow her to manipulate and control you, which is EXACTLY what she is trying to do.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:48 PM on May. 8, 2010

• i would not give her a snack if she trew it on the floor. explain to her that if she is hungry she should not throw food on the floor.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:48 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I wouls not give her the snack, it is also a logical consequence. When the food is thrown on the floor, remind her as she is picking it up the next meal is dinner time(or what ever comes next) and that is when she will be able to eat again.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:52 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't give her the snack. I'm having a similair situation with my just-two-year-old and have dealt with it when my older son and some daycare kids went through that phase. If I'd offered reasonable food in a reasonable time before, I had/have no problem denying a snack. If I really thought the child was hungry, they got offered the same thing they threw on the floor.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I offer a snack at specific times of day -- like 10 am and 3:30 pm -- and I consider them almost like separate meals. If you offer only healthy snacks (we do dried fruit, carrot sticks, apple slices, wheat crackers), and only a reasonable proportion, there is no reason this should be withheld in punishment for a breakfast or lunch not eaten. These kinds of snacks are good for the way that children need to eat -- a small amount, often, and do not interfere with mealtime appetite, I have found. All that said, if one of my kids does not eat a meal, I would not give her a snack shortly after the meal because she's hungry.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:59 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Don't give her a snack. If she's hungry, she'll eat her meal. She won't starve, I promise. She needs to learn to eat what you give her and not waste food. She's old enough to understand.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:45 PM on May. 8, 2010

• OP

She doesn't get treats-like sweets and stuff like that.
    Anonymous