ironman @ 2 and a half? (pioc)

would you/have you/are you planning to take your child to see ironman? my son is only 2 years and 7 months old and my husband wants to take him too see ironman but i say it's inappropriate. what do you think? also my son has never even been to the movies. we were planning to take him for the first time when shrek 4 comes out.

i thought it would probably be too scary, and that we would just have to leave, and we don't have much money to be throwing away to watch 5 minutes of a movie.

i know my husband just really wants to see the movie himself so i told him if he wants to see it that bad he should just go by himself but of course he doesn't wanna do that. tomorrow he will even be home alone because we are going to visit moms but he can't go because he'll have to work later.

what do you think? should a 2 year old be going to see ironman? my husband is all mad now because i won't take our son to see ironman w/ him

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 1:52 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, its PG-13. You might want to research why and then decide what you feel is appropriate for your child. I would also figure that a 2 year old wouldn't really sit through a movie like that either.
    Here is a link to a review from a dad.
    http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/05/10-things-parents-should-know-about-iron-man-2/
    JaeNmissMae

Answer by JaeNmissMae at 2:58 PM on May. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 3 1/2 and she's asking to see it but I'm not letting her. I personally believe its too mature for any child under the age of maybe at least 10 years old.
    JaeNmissMae

Answer by JaeNmissMae at 3:02 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I actually just got back from taking my 11 and 7 year old sons to see it. I wouldn't take a child that young, we didn't take our (almost) 4 year old. I don't know if it's scary, but it is a typical summer blockbuster action flick - lots of explosions, speed, fighting, etc. I think Shrek sounds a lot more appropriate for a 2 year old. Would he even sit still for the two hours? I don't know that it would engage a kid that young well enough so that he'd sit still for the whole movie. If he really wants to see Ironman 2, he should go alone, on a date with you, or with a friend. I really enjoyed it, but not with a squirming 2 yo. Or if he just wants to take your son to a movie what about How To Train Your Dragon? My sis took my niece (5) and my son (almost 4) and they really enjoyed it and sat well through it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:33 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I have a degree in early childhood development. Your son's brain isn't mature enough to tell the difference between real and fantasy - He likely still thinks there are people in the TV, and cartoons are real. That is true up until about the age of 5 or 6yrs old.

My daughters are 8 and 6 and they are both quite mature for their age - but I recently just started letting them see certain PG movies - PG13 movies - even PG13 for violence - are a ways off for us.

Try this site too: www.kids-in-mind.com
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:51 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I agree that he is too young... he needs to see less violent things at his age. Also at age three my grandson fell alseep in the chipmonks. The attention span is not there.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 9:15 AM on May. 9, 2010

• I plan on letting my almost 4 year see it when it comes out on DVD. We just can't do movie theaters now because of our youngest. He has seen the first one. He has understood for probably 2 years the difference between real and pretend. So I see no problem.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:57 AM on May. 9, 2010

• i might allow him to see it on DVD, but not the theaters. for me, at 21 years old- that thing gave me a migraine b/c of how loud it was! but there was a lot of explosions, and fighting, etc.

my son, who's 4 is really into all that stuff- fighting, guns, weapons, astroboy (the first time the guy took off- i thought of astroboy. lol but i never seen the first ironman either), and i wouldnt take him to see it. maybe DVD, but not theaters.

but i am SO EXCITED for shrek 4! lol
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 2:59 PM on May. 9, 2010

• At that age - no way. Wait til it comes out on DVD and then preview it yourself to see if you think that he can handle it. It has been rated PG-13 for a reason.

People tend to forget that while Ironman is based on a comic book character - those comic books were written specifically for the teenage/adult set not young children. So the movie is geared towards the same market that the comic books were/are. Yes, they do have toys that are geared towards the young child, but that is all marketing sales to boost the toy companies bottom line.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:00 AM on May. 10, 2010

• No, I think that's too young. My son is 3 and his babysitter has some Ironman toys for her son who is 4. Well, that got my son all into Ironman so when my mom took him to Wal-mart last week and he saw the DVD, he got all excited and Mom bought it for him. I put it up as soon as I could because he is way too young to be watching that. I still can't really stomach the beginning where the doctor is working on him and there's all that blood. Not to mention the...uh..almost adult scene. I haven't seen the 2nd one yet, but I doubt I'd let him watch that one either. At his age, my son has a hard time sitting through anything that isn't animated. lol
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:05 PM on May. 10, 2010