How did your find out your child had asthma?

How old were they? What were some of the symptoms your child had? How did it start? Did they do any tests on them? Did you have pets? Were they born full term? Did you or your husband have it, and were either of you full term? I'd like to know as many situations and variables as possible please. If you have any experiences with this and wouldn't mind sharing, please do so.

Thank you very much, and Happy Mother's Day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Health

• Mine hasn't been diagnosed, but she has wheezed and has eczema. Usually if children have both then they are considered as being asthmatic. Yes. she was full term and so were her dad and I. We both have it which gives her an increased risk of being diagnosed. Are you concerned that you or your children have this. I have been asthmatic since I was 18 mos old. I can answer just about any question you have. I have about as much knowledge as my Dr. Send me a message if you want to chat.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:15 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Mine had breathing problems since she was a baby. She was premature and needed breathing treatments. When she was older she would get exercise induced asthma. If she was running around too much she would start coughing and couldn't stop. Now she has both asthma and allergies and an attack can come on for no reason. When she was little she had a chewable singular pill one a day and her rescue inhaler as needed. Now she has a daily inhaler in the morning and her rescue inhaler as needed.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:24 PM on May. 8, 2010

• My son has very mild asthma that seems to be triggers by allergies or a cold...etc. Basically any type of sickness that relates to his breathing. If he gets sick he REALLY gets sick...horrible nasty cough every time.

We really didnt know until he was 5. We just knew he was very prone to coughs. He never really wheezes, not sure why.

One night during a particularly bad sickness he began to have trouble breathing and we took him to the Dr, who showed me his retractions....the sucking in on his chest. We knew then that he really had it.

But we ususally only use an inhaler if he is sick. Any other day he seems fine ;)

He was born 2 weeks early, Me, hubby and dd are asthma free....and we have an outside dog, but thats it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:43 PM on May. 8, 2010