Do you think Parents who's babies had a stay in the NNU/SCBU/NICU should just be thankful for the life saving treatment nurses gave there child and should not be complaining about how Nurses were rude to them-the parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Health

• If they are rude they are not engaged with their patient and they are not giving the best care possible. I would call the patient advocate at the hospital and complain
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:13 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I never experienced a rude nurse while my children where in the NICU, but I can tell you, a rude nurse, or a rude anyone is the last thing the parents need. There is too much stress as it is, worrying if your child is going to survive....the least the nurses can do is show a little patience and be nice.
    Anonymous

• Nurses are not supose to be rude. They are supose to be nice.

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on May. 8, 2010

• No. Saving a life is your job, shut up and do it with a smile on your face and make the parents as happy as possible, because there are 10 other nurses who are not rude that can take your place.
    Anonymous

• There is no excuse for being rude while doing ANY job.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:53 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I think anyone who even asks a question like this should be fired. I would fear for the baby in her care if she is holding a grudge against a parent and thinks that she is the one holding this baby's life in her hands.
    Anonymous

• I'm a nurse. I can understand that in some instances a parent may complain about a nurse being rude. Sometimes she probably may be. Maybe she didn't sleep well, because her own child kept her up.....or a family member is ill or .... or.... or.....she is distracted by her life. Other times, it may be the parents not following protocol and she may become outspoken, sound rude because she is following her orders/ the unit's policy. I think if the parents are concerned about rudeness, they should have a talk with the head nurse, and get to the bottom of the story.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:54 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I think some may come across rude but really aren't and the parents are just so stressed that they think that they are. Does that make sense? When our ds was in the nicu dh thought this one nurse was rude. I didn't think so, I thought she was just doing her job. It was the way she explained things to us, like we were stupid and didn't understand it seemed at times. It was more her personality then her being rude. She was just making sure we understood things. Dh took it more personally.
    Anonymous

• When I went into labor I had a terribly rude nurse. I actually called her on it, I told her that as much pain as I was in I didn't need her being so rude. She immediately apologized and said she'd been having a bad day and she didn't mean to take it out on me. When my son was 4 days old we ended up in she special care nursery and on our 2nd day there she was his nurse. At first I was upset and I didn't want her in there with how scared and emotional I was, but she was great the whole time she was there. Nurses are only human and sometimes they have "off" days. Granted they shouldn't take it out on patients, but we have to be somewhat understanding.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 6:19 PM on May. 8, 2010