Non-med helps for Early Onset Bipolar?

I am reasonably certain (95%) that my 5yo dd has early onset bipolar disorder, based on her behavior and a family history of both bipolar disorder and alcoholism. Looking at my family members with the disorder and reading other people's stories, her symptoms are mild- to moderate. It will take a while to jump through all the referral/medical hoops to get a DX and treatment.

Are there things that I can do to help her now (and later)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Don't let bipolar go untreated.
    Anonymous

• really, you go see what a doctor says. family history is huge. i dont know if there are non med solutions but i am sure some things help symptoms that you can do - that a doc can explain. best advice is when you know something is wrong with your kid - get them treatment asap because early interventions are very successful compared to later interventions.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:19 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I realize it needs to be treated. I'm asking about things I can do in the meantime, because it's not like I can walk into the therapist today. between the need for an appt with her ped for a referral, and dealing with the ins. etc It's going to take a while
    Anonymous