i need a lot of advice

My sister is moving to another state(shes getting a divorce) so i will be keeping her 3 youngest children (she has 6 kids ages 14,12,10,5,3,2) for the summer. I'm scared that my son(age 2) won't be able to handle the extra company( his cousins normally sleep over 4 or 5 days a month) he usually handles that fine as long as its not two days in a row by the 2nd day of a weekend visit he starts throwing tantrums, hitting them and becomes really whiny. i'm scared that i'll be living in a house with 4 miserable kids 3 missing their mommy and 1 wanting the others to leave. i can i make this easier on all of us? how long should it take for them to adjust? what can i do to make it easier on everybody?

liadotwtd

Asked by liadotwtd at 4:09 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be hard for a little while because your child is used to having his space and you to himself which is understandable. I would suggest trying a schedule for all of them to be used to. Of course this will not be easy at first but gradually they will get used to a schedule. Look on the internet for lots of activities and ideas. If you can buy coloring books, crayons if needed you can also print off coloring pages from the internet. Play doh, is another good inside idea. Taking a walk if possible or getting them outside during the day playing ball all together just letting them get some of their energy out...lol. Also hopefully with the activity during the day you can place them for a nap which will be most helpful. If you need anymore ideas please feel free to message me. I used to be a nanny and have lots of experience with children.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:27 PM on May. 9, 2010

• i would also need advice on potty training 2 toddlers at the same time?
    and maintaining a house with so many little one's?

thank you
    liadotwtd

Answer by liadotwtd at 4:16 PM on May. 8, 2010

• He's just going to have to learn really quick that his attitude won't be tolerated. He's at the age where he is going to push his boundaries to see how far he can get, and you need to nip it in the bud. He needs to know that you will ignore whining and tantrums, and that he will be punished (however you may do your discipline) for any hitting or hurting of the other kids. He needs to have his boundaries set firmly. But he does also need to be reassured that you still love him and that these other kids aren't going to take you away from him, so do keep some special affection in store just for him.
    Anonymous

• You need to give him more discipline. I use to baby sit a kid like that and his mom threw a tissy that I put him in time out for hitting my kids. She's lucky I am against abuse, or I would've smacked the hell out of him. The problem with him though was his mom would hold him saying it was isolation when he would act this way. Yeah so if he acts up he gets what he wants to be held. You need to make him learn to deal with it. If you don't you will have serious issues. I mean this kid I watch threw a wrench at my new born. He would just flip out when ever I was helping the other kids. Your child needs to learn to share you I think that is your biggest issue. May I ask is he the only child? Because this may be what is going on he is not use to sharing you for so long. So it may make him made. Use this as a learning experience for him. Disipline when he acts like this. ( No the wreth was not lying around we were moving and it
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:39 PM on May. 8, 2010

• was in a box that was in the living room. I wasn't ready to start sitting but she begged so I did to help her out. It ended up my worse night mare and she still owes me money.) You do need to get this under control now though because if you don't imagine when he starts school, or if he goes to day care. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in the principals office? Nip it in the butt while you have the chance. This is the easiest time and most vital time to teach them. He is not to young to teach what we do or don't do. Nanny 911 and supernanny are great shows to learn how to deal with these situation. You can watch them online to.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:43 PM on May. 8, 2010

• he is an only child and i do put him in time out when he acts up.
    liadotwtd

Answer by liadotwtd at 5:08 PM on May. 8, 2010

• He is throwing tantrums because he's not getting all of your attention. Keep reminding him you love him and he will get use to it after a couple weeks of it. Really...I have no good advice. May the force be with you.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 6:08 PM on May. 8, 2010

• With large groups of kids structure is the key! Plan out the day well because when they are bored it gets chaotic quickly and often ends in frustration for the kids and the parents. Plan out the day including separate activities for different age groups. The older kids should be able to do some things that require little supervision so that the younger kids can be your focus (as they need more of your time and assitance). I'd start planning ahead now. Try to be consistant every day with meal times, bath times, bedtimes and naptimes. That will help too. You're such a nice sister!!! Good luck, hope all goes well and it ends up being a blast.
    Anonymous

• I am afraid you may be in for a bumpy ride! this is hard for him to grasp at 2. Its not even like gradually adding a kid like if you were pregnant and had a new baby.... its 3 cosuins that may be struggling with their life situation. I agree a schedule will help and you may need some times out because your son will act up. I understand he is your only baby but you can't tolerate him acting like that with 3 other ones to tend to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 9, 2010