What's HIS story?

Have you ever seen someone from a distance that intrigued you and you wondered to yourself, "What's HIS story? How did he get here? What's in his past?" Have you ever started making guesses about it?

Last night, my husband and I went out to a concert and there was a gentleman at our table. He was probably in his 50s, Caucasian, had long (but decently well kept) hair, was well dressed, very gaunt in the face and walked on a cane. His walk was very slow, very labored. My husband and I both would've liked to talk to him and see what his story was, but as we were at a concert, we thought it would be rude to try to talk over the music and disturb the man from enjoying his time. When the show was over, and we were getting up to leave, I smiled at him and my husband gave him a little bow. The man folded his hands in front of himself and bowed back. Continued in comments...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• On the way home, my husband and I were wondering to each other who he was and what his story could be. I told him that honestly, the first thing that popped into my head was "Vietnam Vet".

Has anyone else had something like this happen? Have you ever seen a person and wish that you could just sit down, buy them a coffee and listen to their life story because they look like they've been through it all and still come out kicking?
    Anonymous

• I often think that to myself as I'm going and doing my day to day things. I know my story, and to think we live among MILLIONS upon BILLIONS of other people in this world and we don't even say hi to people.
    When something tragic has happened in my life, such as a loved one that has passed way and i'm feeling especially sensative, I look at other people and think...nobody around me knows this is happening....nobody knows how much pain I am in, yet they go about thier business. I wonder when I see someone if they are going through some kind of pain, if they've lost someone from cancern, if they've traveled to Europe...the list goes on. Like you, I wonder what their story is/was, and what thier future holds.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:27 PM on May. 8, 2010

• No. I don't really pay attention to other people.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely! Next time, don't hesitate to say hello. You could have really made an impact, or he could have upon you! :-)
    Anonymous

• I often feel and wonder the same. I think that everyone is someone's baby and how joyous their parents were upon their arrival and how proud they were of their children as they grew up and became productive people in our society. It bothers me when I see people in distress or when I'm in public and see people not coping well--angry at salesclerks, or their small children, homeless, people with drug/alcohol addictions, road rage. Then I wonder what is their story to make them like this? It saddens me and I feel like I am niave and live a fairy tale life, wanting everything to be rosey.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:11 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I frequently feel that same way. Sometimes I act on it and sometimes I just don't feel comfortable approaching people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 9, 2010