I just found this how can it be explained

Be Wise As Serpents

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16)
Comment

This verse instructs the apostles to act "wise as serpents." Since Christians hold that the serpent in the Bible represents Satan, one might wonder about this. In Genesis 3:1 the Bible describes the serpent as "more subtil than any beast..." Some early Gnostic heretics believed that Satan and Jesus were the same. They may have used sayings such as this to support their belief.

It seems odd that Jesus would resort to the metaphorical "sheep" instead of sheep-dogs or some other noble animal. The awkward fact remains: people raise sheep to either fleece them or kill them for food. To send them as prey in the midst of marauders hardly seems advisable.

Note also that doves actually act just the opposite of "harmless." Doves sometimes act viciously against other birds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Laughs at this: We are to be wise[as snakes], because we will be watched as the Messiah when they tried to find fault in him and his words. Any excuse you give them will not only get you killed, but discredited, also we are to use every oppertunity to save everyone we can. This requires wisdom because if we do not try to do it the propper time or place we may be in for trouble.

We are to be gentle as doves because if we are harsh and disrespectful, we will ruin those we try to reach by offending them. In other words lose our saltiness.Blessings..

Children of Yahweh are peaceful, calm, and understanding. At least that is the goal, some have not made it there yet, but they will. Also we slip, but we are still in training and human after all. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:46 PM on May. 8, 2010

• The sheep or "lamb of God," is actually a perfect symbol for Christ because of the way they were offered as sacrifices in Hebrew culture - they believed the sacrifice helped to cleanse their own faults and impurities on their behalf.

Doves in Hebrew/Christian culture are a symbol of peace because of the role the of the dove in the story of Noah, they were also used as a "poor man's" substitute for sacrifices when someone couldn't afford a lamb, and the Holy Ghost appeared "as a dove" at Jesus' baptism.

Of course the snake is an interesting symbol because it has been used for Satan, and also for Jesus as in the "brazen serpent" that Moses lifted to cure the children of Israel when they were getting bitten by poisonous snakes.
    Anonymous

• So he wants us to be wise like satan? I don't get it!
    Anonymous

• I suspect the use of the snake symbol for both Jesus and Satan are in reference to them both being wise. If you watch the interaction of them both during the "temptation" time that Jesus passed through, you can see them both being learned and using knowledge in their verbal/spiritual combat.
    Anonymous

• So Jesus and satan are referred to the same animal? So they are the same? I am really lost. This makes no sense if satan is bad then why would you refer to them similarly? Or why would we betold to use his wisdom?
    Anonymous

• Go read Numbers 21:6-9 The "firey serpents" represent the peolpe's open rebellion( sin) and it's result ,typifying the sin of the world. The serpent lifted up and born on the cross is a type of Christ bearing the sin of the world on the cross at Calvary. . If He be lifted up He will draw all men unto Him. (John 12:32) If we look to Him in faith He heals us, the serpent on the staff in Numbers 21 represents this healing. Praise the LORD!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:21 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Isn't it good to know all the cons people can do to you, to have street smarts, yet not do like those who do wrong?

WHAT? You make no sense at all.
    Anonymous

• (Matthew 10:16) “Look! I am sending YOU forth as sheep amidst wolves; therefore prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves.
    These two are the reference Scriptures to that one. it helps in understanding the point of Matthews.
    (Genesis 3:1) Now the serpent proved to be the most cautious of all the wild beasts of the field that Jehovah God had made. So it began to say to the woman: “Is it really so that God said YOU must not eat from every tree of the garden?”
    (Romans 16:19) For YOUR obedience has come to the notice of all. I therefore rejoice over YOU. But I want YOU to be wise as to what is good, but innocent as to what is evil.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:21 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I'm not all into this or have I read everyone's answers. You have to think like the enemy to overcome them......thats my answer.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 6:29 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Also sheep are Meek animals and peaceful and innocent it does not offend me that I am referred as such blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:48 PM on May. 8, 2010