Does the bible say to bash a child's head into a rock? Who would follow that?

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalms 137:9, KJV)

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock." (Psalms 137:9, New American Bible)

"Happy the man who shall seize and smash your little ones against the rock!" (Psalms 137:9, New American Bible)

"a blessing on anyone who seizes your babies and shatters them against a rock!" (Psalms 137:9, Jerusalem Bible)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• 'It is sad to think that the people would not do right, even for the sake of their children.' You mean follow the bible literally? Do exactly what it says?

Bash the child's head against the rock?

BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:04 PM on May. 8, 2010

• I have heard this to mean that JESUS is the ROCK that it speaks of. You cant take everything in the Bible so literal.

Anonymous

• They used a lot of metaphores in the bible. Like anon said, you can't take it literally. Best thing to do is study the language and the meanings at the time that this was written.
    Anonymous

• Yes, Jesus is that Rock!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:07 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Wait.... I thought the Bible wasn't up for interpretation? I thought I was supposed to take it literal....

Now I am confused....
    Anonymous

• well I was raised Adventist and it seems sometimes to me like cherry picking cause sometimes it's literal and sometimes it;'s not. so idk...
    Anonymous

Then you really don't understand Adventism.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:24 PM on May. 8, 2010

• Psalm 137 was written during the captivity (I just went back and read the whole chapter). The psalmist was likely very bitter over the evil he saw done to his own people's children. There is usually more than one explanation for a verse as most verses in the OT have multiple meanings--some of them prophetic. The Rock in prophecy does represent Jesus (its a constant theme throughout the Bible) In order to garner deeper meaning, prayerful searching of the Scriptures is necessary. It's not "cherry-picking" it's shaking the whole tree.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:34 PM on May. 8, 2010

• It is sad to think that the people would not do right, even for the sake of their children.

WHAT?
    Anonymous

• Who would happily do these things? The enemy, oppressor, the evil one. He convinces people to sin, and then gleefully punishes them after accusing them to Yahweh day in and day out. He is the adversary and he takes his job seriously. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:39 PM on May. 8, 2010