Do you use a rug rake or a carpet rake on your carpets before vacuuming? Does it work?

Or is it a waste of money? Where did you buy it from? I'm thinking of getting one but the only place I can find them is on Amazon. There are some that are only $10 but I want to find out if they are worth buying in the first place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Never heard of one! I'd just vacuum really well. A good vacuum should suck everything up.
    Rug Rake - sounds like a money scam to me. And it wouldn't be good at all on the popular Berber carpet....one snag and your entire carpet is unraveling.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:34 AM on May. 9, 2010

• A rake is typically used after vacuuming or cleaning to fluff the carpet pile back up. $10 would get you a cheap plastic piece of crap. If you're willing to spend $40, you can get a more professional one. Note: the above answer is only correct in that it is not for use on berber carpet. Also, if your carpet is an olefin or polyester fiber, a carpet rake is not going to help lift the pile much, because those fibers are so prone to crushing. It might help a little bit though. If the carpet is nylon, a carpet rake would help it fluff back up considerably. That's really all you need a rake for; otherwise, just buy a decent vacuum with a strong beater bar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on May. 10, 2010