learning issues and how to overcome them

i fear my daughter has fallen behind on language and speech development. she can barely string 2 words together, and parrots at that. when i ask a simple question, like "where are puppy's eyes" she'll change the subject by counting the eyes instead "one, two" she'll say and then try to kiss the puppy on the page or smile at me and walk away, or just simply try and avert MY attention by showing me her favorite toy.

i've checked every list that compares child speech development and she has fallen drastically behind. i'm at my wits end. and i've gotten to the point where i'm starting to just give up when i try to teach her something. she hasn't learned anything new in months. i think it's time to switch doctors. he keeps saying its normal, but at THIS rate? this isn't normal to me. something is wrong. she's going on 3 and can't barely string 2 words together, she just parrots everything i've ever said to her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on May. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a Birth to Three agency in each state that you can call to refer yourself. In my state, once the child turns 3, you need to deal with the local school district to get services. If you want to PM me I'll try to find out in your state where to call, and if you can refer your dd yourself.
    Does she go to PreK? If not, can you send her? If the teachers think she is behind, they should know some strategies to help her AND be able to refer her to the local services.
    Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:41 PM on May. 8, 2010

• In Michigan we also have early childhood programs...check with your county health department or with the DHS office in your state to locate these programs.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 9:20 AM on May. 9, 2010

• if your concerned call your local school district. By law every child can get a free evaluation at a school for learning and speech development and may also qualify for free help.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:07 AM on May. 11, 2010