Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am at a loss of what to do with my son!!

My son just turned 7 yrs old, he doesnt respect me or my husband (his stepfather), doesnt listen to us, has been caught stealing from us before, and lies almost constantly. He is always punished after these incidents (time out, taking away priveleges, etc) but nothing seems to help. I just dont know what to do anymore. My son would love if I would let him live with his birth father (who was a drug addict, and incredibly irresponsible person who got us and himself evicted many times, and now has gotten two DUI's) and his birth father would love it if I gave him custody to live with him, but I dont want to because I dont want him to ruin my sons life the way that he ruined his own. I even thought of military school or boarding school, but I know that there is no absolute way that we could afford to pay for it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just feel like he is out of control.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on May. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (4)
  • I would ask at his school. There should be a social worker-guidance counsellor type person that comes in, if not every day, he/she can be asked to come in. Have this person talk to your son as an impartial adult to talk to him about what is going on. He sounds like he is very angry and is trying to tell you that. Counselling could probably help. Good luck!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 6:38 PM on May. 8, 2010

  • sounds like he has anger issues towards you and the stepdad. sounds like he needs to talk to someone, like a counselor. id get a hold of his doctor and see what he says

    Answer by jamiethornton26 at 4:03 PM on May. 9, 2010

  • Your son is only 7 years old, and of course he may want to live with his father however from your post that is not the best for him. It seems that your son may need counseling or possibly talk to his doctor about his behavior for an evaluation. He may have issues from possibly being seperated from his biological father. Seeing a counselor may open up his feelings or his angers and allow him to get this all out. All you and his step father can do is continue to be supportive. Take the steps now to get him help while he is still young. You can try and talk to him letting him know it is okay to open up and tell you how he feels because you love him and no matter what you will always be there for him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on May. 9, 2010

  • Sometimes as parents we must make tuff desitions toward the benefit of our kids. It's wats called tough love. All though painful it's something we must do. After you have tried talking to him or getting him some counseling; if u see that this doesn't work n u don't want or can't afford to send him to bootcamp. Talk to a police officer and ask him for a favor. To scare your son and to take him with him, kind of like an arrest n take him to the station or juvie n have him sit there without you for an hour or so n see how he reacts to it. Then explain to him that that's where he'll end up if he doesn't shape up and stop his behavior. All though it sounds as if he's suffering from anger n the only way he knows to handle his emotions is by acting out toward the fam. Get him help first, then Try the police thing as your last resort. That always works. Trust me.

    Answer by lilhandswonder0 at 3:21 AM on May. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.